Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skiff

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
I use a Fantom 80GB external drive on which I've loaded a bootable backup of my hard drive. It works great and I'm happy to have it. But I'm not even beginning to use up all 80GB capacity, can't I enter more data on this drive without disturbing my bootable backup? I've been led to believe that anything I add will copy over what's already on the drive.

I can't get definitive information at the Fantom web site. I'm sure one of our forum guys will be competent to answer my question. Right?

rlove06

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2006
Washington, DC
I use a Fantom 80GB external drive on which I've loaded a bootable backup of my hard drive. It works great and I'm happy to have it. But I'm not even beginning to use up all 80GB capacity, can't I enter more data on this drive without disturbing my bootable backup? I've been led to believe that anything I add will copy over what's already on the drive.

I can't get definitive information at the Fantom web site. I'm sure one of our forum guys will be competent to answer my question. Right?

As long as you don't screw with the file structure of the OS. Yeah, why not. Just be like adding files to the root directory of your current OS HD.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
or you could reformat it, and partition it.

leaving however much space you need for backup available and the rest for file storage.

hayduke

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2005
is a state of mind.
I would partition it as was already mentioned. You can do this with Disk Utility. Make one partition that is the size of the drive you are backing up and leave the remainder in the second partition. I'm pretty sure you can boot just fine from a partitioned Firewire drive.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I'm pretty sure you can boot just fine from a partitioned Firewire drive.
You definitely can; this is exactly how I do my backups, and it's served me well. I always have the backup partition of identical size as my boot partition, so I won't end up wasting any space or having to repartition the backup drive when my boot partition gets more stuff on it.

Besides, even if you couldn't boot from the backup for some strange reason, you'd still be able to clone the backup back over one way or another.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.