Is this an iMac G5 or intel Plastic iMac?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by GeekOFComedy, Jan 1, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502a

Hello guys, I am doing a presentation for a class thingy in technology about new media and i'm trying to express how when macintosh youtubers started uploading video blogs when they switched to intel/intel made iMacs and about this media blah blah blah. In the pic attached is that a iMac G5 or intel. I see spot light on the top right so it's either running tiger or leopard. I thought I saw a apple remote magnetic thingy on the side. Did the iMac g5 have one?

2. Guest

InfoSecmgr

I'm sorry but that post made hardly any sense. However I do hope your "thingy" goes well...man oh man. This is the kind of stuff I had to deal with in my undergrad program. Try to put a bit more effort into things okay?

3. macrumors 604

iBookG4user

The last gen iMac G5 and original intel iMacs look identical from the front, so it is impossible to tell. Yes, the last gen iMac G5s also had the remote.

4. macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

5. macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Yes, the last gen iMac G5s did have the iSight.

6. Guest

spinnerlys

The last G5 iMac, released October 12th 2005, had iSights in them, that's why it is not easy to discern if the iMac in the picture is Intel or IBM.

EDIT: Upsy daisy.

7. macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Since they're identical from the front, why does it matter if you just need a picture?

If you actually need to use it, look at the back; the G5s had its ports/connectors arranged vertically, while the Intel models have a horizontal arrangement.

8. macrumors 603

appleguy123

Late 06 would indicate an intel machine. That is if she bought it new.

9. macrumors 603

SkyBell

IIRC, the G5's also said "iMac G5" on back, while the intel's only said "iMac." I could be wrong though.

I do recall the Intel's having a slightly smaller chin then that though, so my guess would be G5.

10. macrumors member

Well on the first part it doesn't...had to look behind mine to make sure but it just says iMac. The only way i could ever tell without booting it up was the vertical/horizontal ports that someone else mentioned.

Anyway good luck with your "thingy" :)

11. macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

You might be thinking of the PowerMac G3. It had "G3" underneath the logic board which was visible from the outside.

12. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think thingy was misleading and yea old 09 youtube videos are 3d enabled lol. It was this new media thing presentation I'm doing for my technology class. I found another pic here

13. macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

14. macrumors 603

SkyBell

I remember that machine, but I could've sworn that the iMac G5 had something similar on the back...Oh well.

15. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'll lie and say it was intel lol. I just realised that editing HD video on a g5 would be harsh so it must be intel. Ooo random thread! closed!

16. macrumors regular

Jamo12

I'd bet money that it's a G5... the intel one had a more rounded back than the G5 (the G5 Was a rectangular prism, where as the intel was rounded in the back). That and the "chin" on the g5 is larger.

17. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I mean on this video if you can make anything out of low quality here @ "DOESN'T MAKE DIFF LINK GONE"] at 2:43 when the camera pans the more suggestions the better

18. macrumors 68000

Badger^2

it really is impossible to tell from what you have given us.

The white 20" Intel iMacs used the *exact* same case as the G5 iMacs except for the port orientation.

19. macrumors 6502a

Maserati7200

I'm genuinely surprised no one said this yet.
    Click the :apple: in the top right corner and click 'about this mac'. If it says "Intel Core 2 Duo" or "Intel Core Duo" then it's an intel machine. If it says PowerPC G5, then it's a G5.

Attached Files:

20. macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I don't believe that they have access to the computer.

21. macrumors regular

Also, if it doesn't have a built in iSight webcam then it is defs an iMac G5

22. thread starter macrumors 6502a

No but i could track the ip then fly down under but when the camera pans you see the back of the computer