Is this an invention?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by G99, Jun 6, 2006.

1. G99 macrumors 6502

G99

I just finished a history exam. Basically, there are some "essay" questions, of which you can choose one. One of them was: Describe an invention during your chosen revolution. The problem is, we were all given material on Selective Breeding to revise, so I didn't think the question could be answered. with that knowledge. For backup, I managed to revise the career of the Duke of Wellington. Luckily, the question came up, and I did that. But, after the exam, nearly everyone I asked had done Selective Breeding for the "invention" question, apart from some that really mucked up, and wrote about stuff they hadn't revised. The thing I am worried about is, if they markers consider Selective Breeding as an invention, those who wrote about it will get really high marks, as we covered it really well. I may not get such high marks, as we didn't cover the career of Wellington well, and I just knew it for backup. I really didn't expect I would have to write an essay on Wellington.
    Anyway, my question is: Do you think Selective Breeding improvements during the Agricultural Revolution in Britain, could be considered an invention?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Not that it'd necessarily be applicable in your case, but, by American patent law, an improvement to or otherwise significant modification of a process is, in fact, patentable and thus considered a potential invention here. It would depend upon the degree and type of improvement.

3. G99 thread starter macrumors 6502

G99

Do you think breeding animals together, and getting fatter ones, can be applicable to this law? They aren't really improvements in the process, but the breeds themselves were improved. If so, I am screwed...kinda ;)

4. calculus Guest

calculus

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    If 'selective breeding' was what you were encouraged to revise, chances are they're classing it as an invention. I'm pretty sure they used to point out that the concept of creating fields and crop rotation counted as an invention while I was at school so I suspect 'selective breeding' is similar.

6. Lau Guest

I wouldn't worry about it, though, G99. Chances are you wrote a perfectly good essay on the Duke of Wellington, and all will be well. I had a nightmare in my A level Government and Politics, in the American Politics part, in that due to not revising, I couldn't remember a single date or number to do with American Politics. I cheerfully waffled on as best I could and according to and still got a good mark. I'm sure you'll be fine.

7. G99 thread starter macrumors 6502

G99

The problem is, the teacher at my current school recommended this. Unfortunately, he doesn't mark the papers. An organisation, called the ISEB sets the papers, and the school I'm trying to get into marks them. He really does not know what could come up. I guess describing "Selective Breeding" as an invention is debatable. But, I knew "Selective Breeding" really well, and if the question was clearer, I would have attempted that one..
    I really wish I could do the paper again :(

8. G99 thread starter macrumors 6502

G99

Thank you for your support. I really need it at the moment. I get really pessimistic during exams, so maybe, I didn't actually do that badly..:eek:

9. Lau Guest

I'm sure you did fine. I'm convinced exams are more about whether you can write a good essay rather than the subject matter. And don't worry about it – what's the point? You can't change it now. Enjoy yourself! :D

10. mpw Guest

I'm sure you'll do better than I would've, I know nothing about the history of farming or jazz music.

11. G99 thread starter macrumors 6502

G99

I got an "A" grade in History anyway, so I guess I was way too worried :eek:

12. Jesus macrumors 6502

Is this by any chance common entrance? I remember those exams. I can let you in on a secret, GCSE languages are only frationaly more difficult than C.E..

P.S. Good luck on the rest of your results. :)

13. G99 thread starter macrumors 6502

G99

Ye..I have been told if we took GCSE now, we'd get around 60%. Anyway, now I have 2 years, without any major exams! :D
    About my results, I am kinda pissed. I was aiming for straight A's, but got a B in English :(

14. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

What did this Duke Wellington add to the process, that wasn't already being done for thousands of years, all over the world?