Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zombiemommy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2011
As of a few months ago, whenever I plug in my iPod to my computer ( I have a Macbook pro) my iTunes will always freeze up then tell me that it can't read the contents on my iPod then asks me to restore it. So I ended up doing that, and everything is fine until the next time I hook up my iPod again, it tells me the same thing. I tried downgrading to an older version of iTunes, but it happened again. I'm pretty annoyed of having to do this every single time I hook my iPod up, is there anyway I can fix this so it doesn't continue to happen?

Any advice would be great!
Thanks

zombiemommy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2011
I had the latest itunes 10.6 I think it was, but I just downgraded to 9. I have a 160GB classic ipod, and OSX is Snow Leopard.

zombiemommy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2011
And before it was saying I had 110 GB free, but now something weird happened and it's saying I only have 75GB free. 37.6GB are "other" and I'm not entirely sure what that even is. Should I just get a whole new ipod? I'd rather not if I don't have to.

jayh

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2008
might not be the issue but...

I've noticed with some of my IDevices, that if you're going through a USB hub, especially if you have other devices (storage, whatever) on the hub, it could mess things up. So, if the ipod cable isn't connected directly into a USB port on your macbook pro, try it and see if the results differ.

TyroneShoes2

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
Well, you've proven that the problem lies with the iPod, and not with iTunes. There is a higher level of restore which might be in order. I can't remember what its called; DM? DMR? Something like that. You can google it and it is available in the help section of the Apple site. Pretty common; not too hard to find even if I don't have the real name of it for you. DFU mode! That's it!

You might also just mount the iPod HDD in Disk Utility and take a look at it. If anything looks fishy, just reformat the HDD. After all, the iPod really has no firmware on the user partition of the HDD, the OS is installed from iTunes. Just have the latest version downloaded and ready to go so that you can install it after you reformat. Or maybe that happens in the cloud these days (things have changed since I last updated an iPod OS). And always have a backup of the media in iTunes so you don't lose anything that might be just on the iPod.

And there's always the Genius Bar if that doesn't work.

This is one of the reasons that I prefer flash storage on the iPod; HDDs just have too many potential failure scenarios. The only iPod that makes sense anymore is the Touch, because it has lots of flash storage, plus iOs (ironically, I have 7 ipods, 6 of which still work, and not one of them is a Touch. Go figure.)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.