Is this an OK resignation letter?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by GanChan, May 9, 2006.

1. GanChan macrumors 6502

(names omitted for online privacy reasons, of course)

Dear ****:

I regret to inform you that I will be leaving my position as Staff Assistant IV at the ***** School on June 9, 2006, to resume my previous career as a copywriter.

I am willing to leave earlier than June 9 if you feel it would give ***** more time during the summer to adjust to the transition.

I’m grateful to have had the opportunity to work with such a supportive team, and my very best wishes go to everyone at *****.

Sincerely,

I'll be submitting this in a couple of days. I'm just nervous about how it will go over, so I want to sound as professional as possible.

2. iGav macrumors G3

3. iGary Guest

iGary

I moved things around a bit.

4. iGary Guest

iGary

Nah. It's just a piece of paper - he can talk about specifics directly.

5. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Strongly agree. I've only had to write a handful of resignation letters over the years, but I've always kept them as short and sweet as possible.

6. GanChan thread starter macrumors 6502

So the "gratefulness" should come fairly early in the letter? I thought it would be useful to put at the end, to go out on a bright note....but you may be right to emphasize it ASAP....

7. iGary Guest

iGary

Yeah, you hit em, soften and then hit em again.

Unfortunately, I have wirtten lots of these. :eek:

8. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

It's all about the flow, man.

irmongoose

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I moved a few things around too... :D

10. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

It's ok, but would be better if it were a little more aggressive. Maybe add more curse words and threats of bodily harm?

11. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

I'd lose the contraction at the beginning of the third paragraph to maintain consistency in your mode of address.

12. GanChan thread starter macrumors 6502

I figure I'll just laugh demonically as I hand it over. :cool:

I like the way Patrick McGoohan resigns in the Prisoner. He throws the doors open to the sound of thunder, slams a sealed envelope down on the table, bangs the table with his fist, and leaves. Of course, look where he ended up....

13. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

I like the layout. I think you *should* get to the point in the beginning then leave them with a nice parting shot (as you have done).

14. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

I've done a couple of resignation letters in my career and both were about four lines long. Simple to the point and as others have mentioned, you talk specifics afterwards.

In fact the last resignation 'letter' I did was with O2 in the UK and it was an internal webpage. Basically 'Enter Employee Number', click 'Resign', then click 'Submit'... all automated after that :eek:

15. Boggle macrumors 6502

Boggle

listen to iGary. He's got the rhetorical structure down pat.

Sorry you've had to write so many, iGary. :confused:

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Many times it is best to keep it short and sweet.

Anything written becomes a permanent record. The less you say the better.

17. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

iGary's rewrite is very good.

The only part that you might consider adjusting is the Resignation date.

I would give them at least 2 weeks from the time you submit your letter -- which you are doing. But I would also consider indicating that I would be willing to adjust my departure date to allow for the transition. They may want you to stay a bit longer or depart a bit earlier. This way you are a team player until the end.

Again, up to you on this point. iGary did a good job re-wording your LOR. Short and sweet.

18. Boggle macrumors 6502

Boggle

If i've got this right, sushi suggests that your last sentence have more flexibility about the date, i.e. not just leaving before June 9th but also after. If this is even possible AND If my interpretation is correct than I disagree with Sushi.

It's somebody's job to replace you & a 30 days notice resignation date is an appropriate deadline for whomever is supposed to have your position filled. It is in no way disrepsectful to be firm about your last day of availability.

Of course, there's good chance I'm misreading Sushi, and if so I apologize.

19. iGav macrumors G3

I've only ever had to write a couple, though I take the effort to thank them and whilst explaining my decision and reasons to leave, but also keep open the option of freelance/contract work. ;)

Mine are usually a proper A4 page long. :D

20. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I prefer the frustrated office worker style of resignation letter:

21. FireArse macrumors 6502a

Love it. :)

Is that why your Avatar is a helmet?!

22. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

A turd in a box would be more succinct.

23. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Good point -- thanks!

I was thinking in terms of a two week notice and I may have missunderstood the OP's original concern.

What I would say always is that it is best to come to a mutually agreeable termination date for both parties concerned. That way you don't burn your bridges for future references and job opportunities while at the same time you don't leave them in a lurch.

24. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I say if you've been there more than 1 year you give two weeks. I, however, would never put what job I was going to next. They don't need to know and it's not going to add any more value to the letter.

My last letter was just this:

Dear Dipshit:
    You tried to fire me for not forging David ******'s signature on that deed and for that I decided that you were a low-life piece of ****. Last night I wrote three letters and made three phone calls. When the police arrive at your office, tell them I said thank you.

I'll assume that you'll send my final check in the post. If I don't see it, knowing your ass is in jail is payment enough.

Smoochies,
    Jessica _____

PS: Your sister looks like a man.

I kid you not, if I could get my file I could show you. He had it date stamped and I was questioned by the FBI about it. He had done many bad things that involved fraud for profit and fraud for property. I didn't know until he let me into his club, gave me an office with a window and said I only had a window so I could trace signatures better because his light table was broke. Go figure.

He is now out of business, can never get a license for just about anything ever again, and is probably still paying restitution.

25. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Exactly what I was thinking, except lose the the "Hi". :p

B