Is this deal worth $600-700?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mcox912, May 23, 2006.

1. mcox912 macrumors newbie

I need some advice on whether i should buy a powermac g4 single with the following: G4 Quicksilver
    933 Mhz Processor
    1.5 gig RAM
    60 gig HD
    Superdrive CD, DVD, CDRW, DVDRW
    New Apple Keyboard, New Apple Mighty Mouse
    19" Lacie High Resolution Monitor
    Software:
    OSX 10.4.4 Tiger
    Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, Powerpoint
    Final Cut Pro HD
    DVD Studio Pro
    Adobe After Effects
    Photoshop CS
    Illustrator CS
    InDesign CS
    Logic Express 7
    DreamWeaver MX
    Flash MX
    Apple Apeture
    Lightroom
    Handbreak
    Mac the Ripper
    DVD Backup
    DVD Zone
    Garageband
    iMovie

I desperately want a mac of my own for film editing, web design, etc. but don't have the money for a new one. Should I wait and buy a new one or what? Help me out here.

2. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68000

Mr_Brightside_@

well... i think it would be ook for what you want to do... although you didn't mention its graphics at all (like, are they stock or upgraded?) but seeing as the software itself is worth about 700$+ then i'm going to say that yes, it is a good deal. also, what versions of the iLife software does it have? ... and where is it coming from?

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Are you getting the original CDs, and transfer of license on the software?

If not it's not legal for the seller to leave it on the hard drive.

Then ask yourself -- if the seller is willing to lie and steal from Adobe, Apple, Microsoft -- what's stopping them from cheating me?

Just so you know what the integrity level of your seller is...

4. mcox912 thread starter macrumors newbie

the software is upgraded but i don't know what version of ilife it has. i know the guy personally who i would be buying it from. i really just want to get my feet wet before buying a new mac come august-september when they all have intel.

5. mcox912 thread starter macrumors newbie

the sell would be face to face and not over the internet...

6. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

so lets take a look at this. i am only talking about the computer. and not the software. you can buy a intel mini for the same price.

now 19 in monitor is a good thing. (is it lcd of crt) if it's crt then it's up to you whether you want to deal with space concerns. i am guessing it's a crt. for me thats a negitive. i would buy a 17 lcd even if it came with the 19. so while the intel mini is not that great it has a better cpu comes with a bluetooth and wireless package. now super drive is a big deal to most. but it's only a 50 buck upgrade. unless your upgradeing alot of parts or want the pci slots.

i dont think this is a good deal hardware wise. but by adding all the software. if he is giving you original disk and codes and licences. yes it's a good deal. but if not, then no, i would not take it not on machine specs alone.

if he is a friend that you want to help out, then maybe.

1.5GHz Intel Core Solo
    512MB
    60GB Serial ATA hard drive
    Combo drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
    Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0
    Apple Remote

933 Mhz Processor
    1.5 gig RAM
    60 gig HD
    Superdrive
    New Apple Keyboard, New Apple Mighty Mouse
    19" Lacie High Resolution Monitor

7. 9Charms macrumors regular

9Charms

Your "friend" is trying to rip you off by at least $200. And please don't double-post, I just responded to this in the previous thread.

8. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68000

Mr_Brightside_@

Why?... is it a rip-off?

9. mopppish macrumors 6502

If you're getting legitimate copies of the software, that may be an OK deal, but that computer is bare minimum to run some of that stuff. My 1.33 ghz ibook w/ 1.5 GB RAM is barely sufficient to run Logic Pro 7, and Logic Express is not any easier on the processor other than maybe some plug-ins.
    If your friend cut a couple hundred from the cost and then you went out and got a super fast dual G4 ZIF upgrade, THEN you'd be in business.
    Actually, I take that back. There's definitely some good software in there. If you get the actual physical copies of the software and all legal authorizations, then check online and see what they are worth. That may add up fast.