Is this Ebay item Legit?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Uma888, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Uma888 macrumors 6502

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5183875632&fromMakeTrack=true

time number :5183875632

description : Apple Macintosh Powerbook G4 17" 1.5mhz Laptop

the seller states

1)OS X 10.4 Tiger (thats right OS X 10.4 Tiger)

2)This powerbook has also been optimized for broadband. As OS X does not come out of the box as fully optimized for broadband I have spent considerable time converted various sections of the code so that it makes full use of your broadband connection, you will notice the difference.

dont get me worng, but tiger aint released (yet), is tiger is installed its gotta be a beta version (i.e an illegal leak) making the auction illegal.

im not a mac user, but does osx need to be "optimised" for broadband?

:eek:

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Dont waste you your time or effort. Pirated Software, Pirated Music....I actually reported the listing to eBay.

I rather enjoyed his response to the guy asking about his paypal fees.

3. iGary Guest

iGary

Well, selling all those software programs without proper license is illegal, as is the "7 gigs of mp3s," and the "Tiger," but the seller has a good record.

Optimised for broadband doesn't mean anything. ;)

I personally wouldn't do business because of all the illegal stuff he is offering, but that is just me.

4. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

As always, if you have to ask the answer is anways "no". :)

5. 0s and 1s macrumors 6502a

0s and 1s

Yes! I've been looking for an Apple laptop optimized for broadband since last year. I hope I win...

6. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

"As OS X does not come out of the box as fully optimized for broadband I have spent considerable time converted various sections of the code so that it makes full use of your broadband connection"

Err... Let's see, if he's spent "considerable time converting various sections of code" (which is bull to begin with), *and* somehow he has 10.4.0... that means that he must *still* be spending time, because 10.4.0 doesn't exist yet (not quite, anyhow) and even if it's not 10.4.0, then it's an "optimized" beta of Tiger... I'm sure *that* would be stable.

All in all, this auction is most certainly *not* legit.

7. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Legal, yes, apart from the Tiger issues, which I guess make it illegal... Advisable to buy, definately not..

8. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

You forgot the 7GB of MP3s - which I am sure the RIAA would have something to say about.

9. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

10. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

He could be an ADC member. He could have ripped the music from CDs. It's technically illegal to sell. But don't assume the worst all the time.

11. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Oh yes. Definately illegal then. :) My bad.

12. iGary Guest

iGary

Yeah the +4% PayPal is BS, too.

This guy is a tool, stay away.

13. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

This isn't very smart at all. Congrats to the guy who reported him to E-bay, as this is essentially an illegal auction. Not that that's stopped many people before... ;)

14. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

If he is ADC then he is under a non-disclo on Tiger betas.
    For sure the MP3's are illegal to resell unless he wrote and sang them all himself
    Then there's the small issue of "All the latest versions of the following software (Photoshop, Quark, InDesign, Illustrator, Version Cue, Toast 6.05 with Jam, MicroSoft Office 2004, Norton, Stuffit Deluxe, System Optimizer, Final Cut Pro, Acrobat Pro 7, Limewire, Hotline Client, TechTool Pro, Suitcase, Filemaker, Quicktime Pro, A Ton of Movie Making Software & loads more"

I don't assume the worst of people, but I'm willing to make an exception in this case.
    So, he is an admitted thief -- you would really want to give money to this person, by wire?

Other useful contacts:
    piracy@apple.com
    piracy@adobe.com
    piracy@microsoft.com
    tip@macromedia.com
    They carry more weight with eBay than you or I
    Duly reported.

15. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Well, it's canceled now. To echo what someone else said, the seller was (is) clearly a tool.