Is this email from PayPal a fraud?

Discussion in 'Community' started by devilot, Sep 27, 2005.

1. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I just got this in my email... however it was sort of um, back dated? I don't know-- it just showed up as 'new' and unread although I have checked my email before and after this supposed email turned up. I'll attach a screen shot. I'm scared to click on the link in the email but here it is (I ctrl-clicked to copy the link): link from email

Attached Files:

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Log in to your PayPal account, and see if there is any notification there. From your PayPal account, see if there is a contact tech support link or something.

I'd be leery of E-mails like the one you got. If you do click the link, look for the lock in the upper right corner of the Safari browser window to let you know that you've connected securely to PayPal.

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

You've got phish!

It's a fraud and you are wise not to provide these identity thieves with any information about you or your Paypal account.

If you even have a Paypal account. If I turn off my spam filter, I get these notices for banks I've never even heard of and plenty I've heard of but don't do business with.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

This is a fraud

Do not go there.

Paypal will never email to you with your generic address, they will always address you by the name you signed up as. They will also not ask you to update information by following a emaill link - they will tell you to manually log into your Paypal account at the secure address https://www.paypal.com and then make your updates AFTER you have logged in.

Forward this to email to spoof@paypal.com and they will confirm.

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It used to be easier to recognize phishing by the poor English grammar and the fact that the images or links went to IP addresses, overseas domains, or other obviously-not-the-real-organization locations. Now they are more polished and sneakier, with words, graphics, and URLs that look believable, but just as phoney.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Oh no Oh no. The lock only tells you you are connected to "a" secure server, not that you are at the server you think you are at :eek:

The scammers can also obscure the link address so that you are at some other site that looks in your address bar very similar to paypal.com.

7. devilot thread starter Moderator emeritus

devilot

You guys are awesome!

Thanks for the quick replies and advice... I'm going to do as advised, sign on through www.Paypal.com and then if it is bogus, forward it as the website suggests.

Thanks guys!

:edit: Signed on... saw nothing strange on my usual 'front page' no mention of any changes to my account so I have forwarded the email.

Once again, thanks everybody! Whew. :eek:

8. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Too bad the laws aren't aggressive enough to go after the phishers in this country or a foreign one.

If I was dictator, I would call for removal of their balls. That would cut phishing down to zero. :D

9. Lau Guest

Phew indeed! Looks very suspicious. I'd also be very surprised if Paypal would threaten to suspend your account so readily. It's scary how official it looks though, as you can see how people get duped when it looks so realistic.

Glad you were sensible enough to come on here and check.

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Well, I dunno. The recidivism might be pretty high.

I mean, what else is there left to do but to play around on your computer, if you ain't got no balls?

It would cut second generation phishers down to near zero, however...

11. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

I am hereby noting that water-sprayed-out-of-nose did officially transpire at 9:09pm my local time. Thank you. :)

12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Seems to me we really shouldn't have to worry about phishers. After all, these schemes work on plenty of victims, so they can steal lots of identities, empty people's bank accounts, and make out very nicely. So the phishers get rich, and they can buy a tropical island and retire early. Therefore, they won't need to phish us anymore.

13. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

Simple: If your not addressed by your name in these e-mails, it's phishing...at least related to PayPal.

14. devilot thread starter Moderator emeritus

devilot

Surprise surprise, you were all right...

I just got this email and it's from PayPal verifying that the first email was indeed fraudulent.

thanks, again!

Attached Files:

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

General rule of thumb, never, ever click a link in an e-mail sent to you by Paypal even if you're 99% sure it's legit. Always go to paypal.com yourself and login there. Same goes for online banking, ect.

16. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Wow, I got the same one a while ago. I just wonder what agency I could possibly forward it to, so that something may be done about it.

17. yenko macrumors 6502a

Big Time Fraud ! :eek:

Hover over one of the links without clicking on it and it will display the true website. You could copy that link and report it to Pay-Pal or just forward that email to their security department. They'll figure it out.

18. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Report it to the originating mail server host if you know how to ferret that information out, and to spoof@paypal.com and to reportphishing@antiphishing.org

19. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Thank you for the link, consider it done.

20. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Method is not reliable as a determination whether it is or is not a fraud. The link could be obscured, or spoofed with foreign character substitution, or a Javascript substitution, or...

21. Kobushi macrumors 6502a

Kobushi

Glad you didn't get duped! Too bad most of PayPal's suggestions at the botton of that note are geared towards windoze users :rolleyes: Won't really help you out much; but I guess we're used to that. Either way, it's nice to know that PayPal is at least on top of things enough to let you know what's going on and reassure you. :cool:

Cheers!

22. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    speaking of fraud

don't forget this Citibank spoof--can't believe its still up.

Phish-o-rama

23. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I get emails like this from eBay and paypal, and I'm not even a user of EITHER service.

Since I know that the user/pass will be emailed right to the phishers, I always fill it out like
    user: you guys suck
    pass: reformat your dell

or

user: when I'm CFO
    pass: I'll kill you.

it's fun.

ok, not really. it gives me something to do.

24. yenko macrumors 6502a

...........hence.......a fraud.
    It would not be a true Pay-Pal link. :)

25. yenko macrumors 6502a

This is the link devilot76 got.:eek:

Link
    Does it look like Pay-Pal?? :rolleyes: