is this fake??

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jeffx342, Apr 24, 2003.

1. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Wow. I don't know if it is a fake or not, but the quality of the graphics is awesome. Put that thing into full screen at a reasonable resolution and it will test even the best video cards available. Do we have any idea what the requirements for Doom 3 will be?

2. neut macrumors 68000

neut

well, the shot of DOOM 3 is real. are you talking about the build version or the ability to run it in a window?

i can't wait for this one (and the matrix game, of course).

peace.

3. neut macrumors 68000

neut

not sure about the requirements. there was some guy a few months ago posting a crap load of screenshots from the alpha build. he was saying something like the suggested requirements would be the 9700. or it could have been the min. ?

4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yes, well FAKE too...

I have seen the SAME image too many damn times... lets see, well I can't find it, but I remember the SAME exact image somewhere else...

oh well, anyway It would HOG resources, unless you had like a Dual 970 w/ ATI 9900 :eek:

5. Quark macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure it is FAKE

I am quite sure that it is fake.

Look at the menu and look at the active application - they don't match.

The menu shows that the game should be active, but you can see from the Red/Yellow/Green buttons in the active window, that the Process Listing is active.

I might be wrong, because I'm not on my Mac, at the moment :( , to check it out for sure.

Quark

6. howard macrumors 68020

howard

whether it is a fake or not whatever...i'm sure it will run on macs.

however not without a price....i heard that to get all the special lighting and effects you would need the 9700...theres something that chip does to make the lighting cool....hehe don't know technically. but i heard to just run it you would need at least a geforce 3 or so with at LEAST 32megs ram...or was it 64??...i don't remember...but a LOT!...meaning..it won't run on my computer. ah well maybe in 3 years i'll get a new one...hehe i wouldn't doubt if doom III just got out about that time..you know a game like that is gonna have delay after delay after delay. same with halflife 2...anyway i'm kinda rambling now...

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Re: I'm pretty sure it is FAKE

heh heh. good catch. and i'm pretty sure i've seen that screenshot before, too.

8. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

don't be so sure it will run on your mac, at least not in the next 5 years... there are heavy rumours of carmack giving in to microsoft and releasing xbox only. !!!!

9. howard macrumors 68020

howard

bah!!! no way! i don't believe it!...

10. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

the page seems down, can somebody post a screen shot so i know what hell we are talkign about,lol

iJon

11. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Hm... maybe someone can tell me how I can dive into my image cache and get it...

12. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

mirror

by the way, i don't think it's possible to read the cache of safari... i wish i could

13. Jeffx342 thread starter macrumors regular

in Macworld tokyo 2001, John carmack (CEO of id) presented Doom 3 on OsX native. It was really cool, but the video was low quality. I am betting my money Doom 3 will be for mac as a hybrid CD both pc and mac same with the major release of Quake 3 it was a hybrid cd for mac and pc.

http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ArticleID=2176

the article

14. MorganX macrumors 6502a

MorganX

The console version will be Xbox only, at least as of right now. The Xbox is the only console that can render the game with integrity. May be reason for Sony stepping up the PS3 development cycle.

This has nothing to do with the PC releases.

15. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Carmack has always wanted to push the technology, so even if this is a fake, I wouldn't be surprised that its what he invisions on the release and that the minimum graphic card requirement would be the best thing you could find today.

D

16. ChoMomma macrumors 6502

ChoMomma

so I won't be able to run it on my Performa 450??? WTF!! Man that machine can play Leisure Suit Larry 6 and MacSyndicate with no problem!! It's NOT FAIR!!

17. Jeffx342 thread starter macrumors regular

MorganX - The console version will be Xbox only, at least as of right now. The Xbox is the only console that can render the game with integrity. May be reason for Sony stepping up the PS3 development cycle.This has nothing to do with the PC releases.

LOL, ok... Xbox is so outdated it has a stripped down version of Geforce 3, I can tell you this the new powermacs can handle Doom 3 very well. Xbox will be the last thing that would get Doom 3

18. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Ok, I recently read an interview with John Carmack (can't remember the source, will post it as soon as i find it), and in it he said that the 15" PowerBook WILL run Doom 3, so I take that to mean that he is writing it for the Radeon 9000 and higher. He also said he's writing all the code for the engine on OS X, and that the game WILL be available for OS X and Windows from the ship date. Like I said, I can't recall where the article was, so I'll look for it and post it here ASAP. Still, it was nice to see that kind of support for gaming on the Mac. :D

19. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yes, that means on my 800 Mhz iMac will STILL not be able to run it at all!

woottt! ;) :mad: :mad:

20. job macrumors 68040

job

There was a link to a Tom's Hardware Review of a Doom3 test on numerous GPUs in the Inside Mac Games forum.

I'm sad to report that the Radeon 9000 got its ass handed to it. It never got over 12+ FPS at 1024*768 at 32 bit color. Even the nVidia GeForce4Ti 4200 beat it at several resolution levels.

Hopefully the engine will see some optimization for the Radeon 9000 as it is the third best and most prevalent card for the Mac right now.

21. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

umm i beg to differ. the xbox is a very powerful machine and way more powerful than any other console on the market. all the console may get it, but it would look and play better on the xbox instead of the ps2 or gamecube. from playing splinter cell on my pc and xbox i have learned one thing. the xbox is a very powerful machine and can rival some desktop computers. honestly i feel the xbox would play doom 3 better than some of these flat panel imacs and powerbooks. time will tell though. i play doom 3 on my pc from time to time and it makes my 128mb card and 2ghz pc choke sometimes. could very well be from it being an early build. but like i said, time will tell.

iJon