Is this HD compatable with the new Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by supernovastar, Jan 13, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-120-WD

Hey, I've just ordered one of the new Mac Pros (2.8Ghz) with the 8800GT, and since I'm having to wait a couple of weeks for delivery I thought I'd order some HDs that I will be needing.

I'm totally new to customizing a Mac Pro so was just wondering if anyone can tell me if this Hard Drive will be compatable?

I'm planning on using it as a back up drive for all my images, so I obviously want to make sure i purchase the correct drive.

Any feedback would be great.

Cheers

2. macrumors demi-god

Nugget

Yep. It'll plug in just fine. Enjoy your new machine!

Edit: Do consider using Time Machine for your backing up. It really is a brilliant solution and is better than trying to do your backups "by hand"

3. macrumors regular

The 500GB WD Caviar drives have given me excellent service as data drives in several Windows boxes. They are fast, very quiet, and don't generate an excessive amount of heat.

The 150GB WD Raptor is even faster, just as quiet, and makes an outstanding boot drive.

These drives will slip right into your Mac Pro's drive bays.

Enjoy your new computer!

4. macrumors 6502

what drives do the pro's comes with? WD, Maxtor?

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very much folks.

I've just ordered the 500GB version to use for Time Machine, and one of the 150GB 10,000RPM to use as a scratch disk for PS.

6. macrumors member

i've heard oem is iffy
    because the firmware sometimes is different plus the warranty is usually nulled...its a big thing to have warranties for your hard drives.

firmware isn't necessarily a big issue but if you say get your drive from IBM and want to put it in your mac it may