Is this how the fingerprint scanning going to look like on iOS 7?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by vaio1990, Apr 6, 2013.

1. vaio1990, Apr 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2013

macrumors member

vaio1990

I am really hoping this will be coming on the next generation iPhone 5S.. This will shut all the naysayers about Apple not being innovative anymore

2. macrumors G3

NT1440

God I hope not, thats terribly unergonomic.

How about putting the scanner behind the screen and integrate it into the "slide to unlock" gesture?

3. macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

It will look like it's not even there because it probably won't be.

4. thread starter macrumors member

vaio1990

Well... What about the rumors that the iOS 7 got delayed due to some sort of biometric feature then?

5. macrumors 68020

It was "rumored" to be pushed back. As for the fingerprint scanner, this is the first I heard this is the reason for the alleged delay.

6. thread starter macrumors member

vaio1990

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/02...-rumored-to-have-significant-visual-makeover/

7. Simplicated, Apr 6, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013

macrumors 65816

Simplicated

No matter what Apple does, some analysts will always claim Apple has run out of ideas (e.g. they'll say fingerprint scanning has existed for ages), providing utterly ridiculous reasons (e.g. Steve has passed away) to back the claims.

8. macrumors 65816

Did I spy some naughty pictures in that guys gallery?:eek::D

9. thread starter macrumors member

vaio1990

Haha yea thats why he had to use security lock for it

10. macrumors 6502a

that would be annoying as hell.

let me add that to my calendar. excuse me a moment while i swipe my phone awkwardly on the bottom to unlock....

11. macrumors 68000

VulchR

This will show up on Android way before it appears on iOS. I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing for iOS....

12. macrumors 6502

Well, the Motorola Atrix (Android phone) had a fingerprint scanner that was used to unlock the phone and I believe Apple bought the company that supplied it's parts. I don't see this as Apple being innovative rather than Apple making a smart purchase to prevent Android manufacturers from using this cool technology. The Motorola Atrix was released in 2011.

13. macrumors 65816

i keep reading about the home button doubling as the fingerprint sensor, nice and simple

14. macrumors member

Wow this is going to be sick if really gets implemented!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9Z7twlD-5Y

15. macrumors 65816

yup. i read up on iphoneforums.net and here everyday and there are plenty of rumors of that happening. i think it's a genius and simple idea. no rolling down of your finger like the other video on here, just simply pressing it.

16. macrumors member

This looks legit! NFC pleaseee

17. MattInOz, Apr 14, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2013

macrumors 68030

MattInOz

The sensor company they purchased can pick up the print of various parts of the hand.
    Why have the sensor on the front?

Put in on the back in the lower window part of your hand will touch it when ever you handle the phone. If it doesn't, like phone is on bench or dock, then those times you could type code.

18. macrumors 68000

thewitt

Because 80% of iPhone owners use cases.... Not a good option.

19. macrumors 6502a

MVallee

Even though in this video it's demonstrated swiping from top to bottom I could see Apple making this a little more ergonomic with swiping left to right (or right to left for left handed people). Just hold your iPhone in on hand and try swiping your thumb turned sideways across the home button. It's just as easy as "swipe to unlock". Also for people who don't want this on their phones, I'm sure it won't be mandatory, just like passcode unlocks are not mandatory. Personally, I think this is a great idea.

20. macrumors member

What would be cooler is that you just hold your finger against the screen. One can dream....:D

21. macrumors 68030

MattInOz

You can't let cases get in the way of innovation.

Although given the tech is just touch sensors are very high density, just under a commonly touched part of the screen would be the coolest.

As good as figureprint might be for security, a touch sensor that can see a 3d shape of a pointer touching or even just above the screen could be a far more interesting development to come out of that purchase.

22. macrumors 6502a

Sirious

Best comment I have ever seen.
    The best thing about it is that it probably will be true!

To add the reader, a redesign may be nessesary. Since we're not expecting HUGE design changes in the iPhone 5S, we might not see it until the 2014 model.

23. macrumors G3

Kilamite

That's a fantastic idea of having it integrated into the slide to unlock. Goodbye pass codes (unless you have a cut on your finger).

24. macrumors 65816

TouchMint.com

I am guessing you will register quite a few fingers in case of a cut or lost hand or something.

25. macrumors G3

charlituna

Rumor that it was ever meant to come out before Fall, rumors that it's behind which is why they put Mac OS engineers on it (versus perhaps having a couple on loan to be fresh eyes to look for possible buggy code). rumor that they are going to be putting in a fingerprint sensor ever. rumor it is this year.

hate to say it folks but at this point and perhaps for the near future they might be using this tech merely to tell the difference between a tapping finger and a resting one to improve detecting false hits and not reacting to them. NOT for security, especially

----------

Companies are working on in cell tech that would put the touch sensors on the same level as the display pixels so when that matures yes you could do it on the screen rather easily.

And at that point is when I can see Apple considering adding fingerprints as a bonus level of security. Until then I still say this is about muting false hits from thumbs on the sides etc. so they can reduce the dead zone border but still get the effect without developers having to create a dead zone themselves. For games this can be annoying if there's a stretch where taps etc dont work cause of a muted border for holding the iPad/iPhone. The Mini has this flexible zone to a degree already so it makes sense that it would move to all devices