Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
so if i put a song on my .mac website, not to download, but just to listen to that i paid for, is that illegal?

iDM

macrumors 6502a
derajfast said:
so if i put a song on my .mac website, not to download, but just to listen to that i paid for, is that illegal?

My quick guess yes. Only because i'm assuming you do not have the licenses or permits or whatever to allow people to listen to it, regardless of if they are downloading it, hopefully someone can give you something more tangible though!!

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
If it violates the TOS for .Mac -- good chance they will shut you down.

Which has happened to people in the past for TOS violations.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
derajfast said:

Uh, don't people have to download it to listen to it? ;)

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
Just put the file in your Documents folder vs the Sites folder. You can then move the file around from computer to computer without the possibility of someone else obtaining it.

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
yeah but like if i put up a movie, people dont dowload it, they just watch it.......but if i put up like a neil young song i like, not to download, but jus to play on the site, thats illegal?

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
derajfast said:
yeah but like if i put up a movie, people dont dowload it, they just watch it.......but if i put up like a neil young song i like, not to download, but jus to play on the site, thats illegal?
Duff-Man says...yes, because they *can* download it while listening to it...the only way you'll get around that is if you get permission from Neil and his record company. Artists do get royalties etc from radio play too and you would be circumventing that system....oh yeah!

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
derajfast said:
Yes, there are royalties that need to be paid for streaming too.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2005
You remember hearing, if you think something is wrong, it proballly is.. kinda works out for this!

If you have to question if its illegal, most likely it is..

baummer

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2005
Southern California
derajfast said:

Actually, when you put up a movie, and people watch it, they ARE downloading it. The way streaming works is you download pieces of the movie as you watch. If it's uploaded publicly, it's also easily downloadable as a whole. Which, BTW, is illegal, unless it's your own movie that you made with your own camera, etc.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
I'm sure it's illegal as everyone has said.

What I was surprised about was that the iTunes DRM was so easy to beat. I know there are plenty of ways to beat it and the easiest is to burn and rip but I’d have thought that Apple wouldn’t have left such a gaping hole in DRM.

They let me download from their iTMS using their iTunes then use that song in my movie created using their iMovies and then up loaded to the internet using their .Mac software and hosted on their server for all to view, and listen to.

DRM beaten, copyright breached and not even a sniff of 3rd party software or expert knowledge required.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
mpw said:
I'm sure it's illegal as everyone has said.

What I was surprised about was that the iTunes DRM was so easy to beat. I know there are plenty of ways to beat it and the easiest is to burn and rip but I’d have thought that Apple wouldn’t have left such a gaping hole in DRM.

They let me download from their iTMS using their iTunes then use that song in my movie created using their iMovies and then up loaded to the internet using their .Mac software and hosted on their server for all to view, and listen to.

DRM beaten, copyright breached and not even a sniff of 3rd party software or expert knowledge required.

Apple probably doesn't want DRM at all. It doesn't do anything but add cost for them. Its the record companies that want it, so apple did enough to satisfy them.

I think apple also realizes that those determined to break the copyright will, no matter what you do. If they put a load of restrictions on the songs, no one would buy them. Obviously people want to burn songs to CD, and you can't have DRM on a CD as easily (the few CD's that are copyprotected don't play on all players or computers). If you make your customers jump through hoops, they'll move on. They do just enough to prevent casual infringment. Let the authorities go after those that are really a problem for the music industry.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
i4k20c said:
You remember hearing, if you think something is wrong, it proballly is.. kinda works out for this!

If you have to question if its illegal, most likely it is..

You really can't talk that way with regard to copyright. Copyright is one of the most inane forms of law out there. For example, it's legal to make 30 copies of an article if you're a teacher giving it to your students, but you can't have the students reimbursing you for xeroxing expenses.

You can play a clip of a song on the radio (without paying royalties) if you're panning it in a review, but you can't play the whole song on the radio because you like it.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
If a buy a song on iTunes, burn it to a CD, and then play that CD in my car radio with the windows down, others will hear it, yes?

So what is the difference in playing a song you own in the background of your own site?

Not that I like songs on websites - I hate it - but as slong as you don't have: >>> Click hear to download this song! <<< you should be able to.

moot

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2004
in the great Asian wonderland
Josh said:
If a buy a song on iTunes, burn it to a CD, and then play that CD in my car radio with the windows down, others will hear it, yes?

So what is the difference in playing a song you own in the background of your own site?

Not that I like songs on websites - I hate it - but as slong as you don't have: >>> Click hear to download this song! <<< you should be able to.

Maybe because iTunes allows you to burn that CD legally. I bet there is some agreement to make the OP's wish illegal

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Josh said:

What's the difference!!??!! Does this really need an answer? If you play a song with your windows open, yes other hear it. If you put it on you website, others can HAVE it. They can play it whenever they want to.
Example:
You go to a friends house and watch Gigli with them on DVD which they own. This is legal. Now you make a copy of their DVD for you. This is illegal.

PS. Why the hell are you watching Gigli anyway?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I'm sure that if you download a song from iTMS and upload that, it'd be perfectly legal. For example, Backup 3 uploads all of my purchased music to my iDisk nightly, and it's one of the published features of Backup 3 that it can do so, therefore such uploads must be OK with Apple, due to DRM on the iTMS files.

Also, as mentioned above, putting anything in a non-Public folder or in a password-protected Public folder should be fine.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
you have the right to do as you wish with that song. you can upload it, u can put it .Mac, put it on any folder you want listen to it. you are not breaking anylaws.

The minute though somebody else access it, your in sticky grounds because now you are distributing that song.

Granted, you can listen to a CD on ur computer or cars and others will hear it but they cannot download it. but if you stream it via web and somebody downloads it, even though you didnt give them premission, you are still the illegal provider.

best bet is, put them in your folder and password them.

northernleitz

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2005
Rural Alaska
Personal Use Okay

Some things to note:

--your iDisk includes a Music folder

--you may authorize up to five computers to play songs you purchase from ITMS using your .mac user name as an Apple ID

I am sure the TOS agreement specifies that using iDisk to pirate music is verboten, but I am also sure Apple is okay with one user using his iDisk to copy a certain song from one's home computer to one's work computer so that user can enjoy his purchased work at home or at work in the medium of that user's choice (ie, over the computer speakers using iTunes).

If you work computer is a PC, you can download the iDisk Utility for Windows XP. You'll be able to access all portions of your iDisk, and since Apple wrote the software, it works quite well in Windows.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
To sum up, it is POTENTIALLY illegal. There's nothing inherently illegal (although it may be a violation of the .Mac TOS) about posting a music file that you own, but for which you do not hold the copyright, on your web site.

It becomes illegal if anyone besides you downloads it, though. So make sure you put it in a place where only YOU can access it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.