Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

domini99

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2014
Hi all,

I found this dirt cheap iMac G5 on the web someone is selling nearby, but it has the vertical lines problem.

The screen looks like this:
uploadfromtaptalk1453729378347.jpg

Would this machine be salvageable or should I just leave it?

What could possibly the issue be?

PKBeam

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2015
NSW, Australia
it might just be the display - in that case you could plug it into an external monitor if you bought it. on the other hand the graphics card may be faulty, in which case it's game over unless you have FireWire to use target disk on it.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
It may be the LCD, I would pick it up because you could use an external monitor or replace the LCD. Either way there are parts there that can be used

stroked

Suspended
May 3, 2010
it might just be the display - in that case you could plug it into an external monitor if you bought it. on the other hand the graphics card may be faulty, in which case it's game over unless you have FireWire to use target disk on it.
Target disk will just make it a big clunky external hard drive.

domini99

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2014
Due to the strange pattern on the screen, I suppose it's the graphics card tho, and not the LCD

Repairing the graphics card might cost me more than the machine is worth because I don't have the right tools for it.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Vertical lines suggests it's more likely the panel to me, especially if they're consistently in the same locations. A bad GPU/VRAM would be more random. It's a risk.

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
I have been looking at one which is at the more or less similar stage... just worried if its the GPU..
if it is the GPU, then, mirroring won't work right ?
DSC_0917.jpg

domini99

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2014
I don't have the iMac yet, I could ask the seller if he has tried connecting a second display, but I think I'll just leave this one, and just keep looking for another mac.

I do have found a Macbook 1.1 (Core Duo), which has been on since.. forever, and noone put a bid at it.
He says "You can come and pick it right up for 130 euros"

The thing has dead touchpad buttons.

I'll just wait, maybe I'll find something else, otherwise I'll try to put a bid on that macbook. Not sure what I'll give for it, but 130 euros for a 2006 macbook running OS X 10.5, and has broken touchpad buttons... 130 is way too much.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
I don't have the iMac yet, I could ask the seller if he has tried connecting a second display, but I think I'll just leave this one, and just keep looking for another mac.

I do have found a Macbook 1.1 (Core Duo), which has been on since.. forever, and noone put a bid at it.
He says "You can come and pick it right up for 130 euros"

The thing has dead touchpad buttons.

I'll just wait, maybe I'll find something else, otherwise I'll try to put a bid on that macbook. Not sure what I'll give for it, but 130 euros for a 2006 macbook running OS X 10.5, and has broken touchpad buttons... 130 is way too much.
I wouldn't go over 45 euros for that!

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
I would buy it depending on what is installed and if you can use any of it:

SATA HDD
RAM
Bluetooth
Airport

I had an iMac G5 that displayed these issues that was simply a bad board due to blown caps and I used the HDD for another Mac, the RAM was compatible also with another Mac.

domini99

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2014
I would buy it depending on what is installed and if you can use any of it:

SATA HDD
RAM
Bluetooth
Airport

I had an iMac G5 that displayed these issues that was simply a bad board due to blown caps and I used the HDD for another Mac, the RAM was compatible also with another Mac.
Well, I don't have any other Mac, or a PC that takes DDR memory.

Hard drives... I already have like a zillion laying around.

I was thinking if it might be fixable, but I don't want to take that risk.

stroked

Suspended
May 3, 2010
PKBeam give me an idea. You could try to start it in target disk mode. If you see a FireWire symbol bouncing around on the screen, that would indicate GPU is bad, if not, then the screen is bad.

domini99

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2014
The machine shows the finder icon, because it does not have an operating system installed.

You can see it in the picture

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.