Is this legal?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Hugh, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

I own a legal copy of Windows XP Pro upgrade. Because of how to install Windows on my MacMini I used my friends full copy and then used my serial number.

Is this legal? I mean I do own a legal copy of XP Pro, it's just an upgrade and not the full copy. :confused:

Hugh

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It's legal if you also own an unused copy of Windows that would be eligible for the upgrade. I'm guessing not, if you had to borrow a different set of disks to get the software installed.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If you have an old Windows 98/Me/2000 PC then it's legal.

4. Hugh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hugh

I have Windows 98 and Windows ME. Also Windows XP Pro Upgrade.

Hugh

5. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I wouldn't worry about it too much - you paid for a serial and that's more than a massive number of Windows users have done. I take it Genuine Advantage validation happens successfully on Windows Update etc?

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Either of 98 or Me should cover you.

7. Hugh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Yes, I am able to activate the copy of Windows with my serial number with out any problems.

I was just more concerned that it might not be legal.

Thanks!

Hugh

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It's legal. The upgrade is really just the same as the full installation with one exception; it checks to see if you have an older copy of windows. If you do then your straight.

9. Hugh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Thanks for letting me know. :cool:

Hugh

10. dunawaydk macrumors newbie

Technically it depends on whether or not your previous licenses were OEM-based or Full Package Product (FPP). If your licenses came with a PC you purchased previously, those are OEM-based and NOT transferable. If you paid for a full retail copy of Windows 98 or later, than the Windows XP Upgrade is transferable.

Here is a text snippet from one of many docs posted on MSFT's website:

9. Can I transfer my operating system license from an old PC to a new one?
    ANSWER. Not unless it was purchased as a Full-Packaged Product from a retail store (i.e., Windows in a box). Current OEM licenses for all Microsoft operating system products are not transferable from one machine to another. The End User License Agreement (EULA) governs the terms for transfer of licenses. Some EULAs for copies of certain older OEM operating system products (i.e., MS-DOS®, Windows® 3.1, and Windows for Workgroups 3.1) distributed in 1995 or earlier may permit transfer of the OEM operating system software license under limited circumstances. (See Software Product Transfer section of your End User License Agreement.)

11. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

Also, I'm pretty sure that Microsoft lists Mac OS as an eligible operating system for an upgrade. Don't quote me on that, but I read an article somewhere that said that.

12. dunawaydk macrumors newbie

That's not accurate. Microsoft lives in a "Microsoft-ONLY World" and doesn't offer competitive 3rd-party OS upgrades as an option for acquiring their OS.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/matrix.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/matrix.mspx

They don't offer 3rd-party competitive upgrades to Microsoft Office anymore either (Windows or Mac Editions):

http://www.microsoft.com/office/editions/howtobuy/professional.mspx#EQE
    http://www.microsoft.com/mac/howtobuy.aspx?pid=upgrade

Not meaning to "rain on anyones parade", but it is what it is...

13. Hugh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hugh

My version of Windows are not OEM versions (Although I do own two OEM Windows 98 version but I wasn't counting them. Because they where OEM that I got with my E-Machines long time ago.). I have Windows 98SE (Full) and Windows ME (Upgrade).

14. BigPrince macrumors 68020

15. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

What you did completely makes sense since you would not be able to install windows, the upgrade, on your mini since only a full copy install works with Bootcamp. But if you own another copy of windows, then you are fine.