Is this legit?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Thomas Veil, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I got the following e-mail yesterday:

And here's the rest of the header:

The reason I ask is, some parts of this sound fishy:

• I'm already on the Do Not Call list;

• Why would I have only 72 hours to respond? Can't I sign up at any time?
    From the little internet protocol I do know and the fact that they give the last four digits of my phone number, I'm 99.5% sure it's legitimate. But those two issues make me a little suspicious that this might be some kind of spoof/trojan/e-mail scam.

2. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

Another question if it is legitimate: Why are they SPAMMING? Do not call list is so we don't get phone "spam" so why email spam?

3. dotnina macrumors 6502a

This is slightly different ... that discusses a cell phone do-not-call list, but this e-mail sounds like it's a general do-not-call list.

I was leaning toward saying this is legitimate until I read the line,

That just strikes me as odd. There's no reason why I can't re-type the address myself. I don't think the FCC would say that, especially since people are being taught nowadays to type in website addresses themselves rather than clicking links.

I say don't do it.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The e-mail is phony but there is a real do not call registry at www.donotcall.gov.

5. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

ooops, my bad! :p

6. maya macrumors 68040

maya

This sounds like the "phishing" scam that occurs with online banks.

Its not legit, if you want the list go direct to the site and fill in the form, I see no reason as to why they are spamming you with this email a GOV agency would not do such a thing. :)

7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

There is a no not call registry. But there is no deadline on it. And its a stupid email... deserves to be dropped into the SPAM folder in Mail or the TRASH in Entourage...

It's an e-rumor kinda thing. Ignore it.

8. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I find a good rule of thumb for people is that if they receive a forward instructing them to do something, you should first search for it on the internet... since it's a forward a lot of people have probably gotten it also and have already debunked or verified its correctedness. That usually saves me from looking stupid for forwarding the latest scam my friends way... and it's always fun to hit the reply to all and tell everybody your friend told that it's completely false. ;)

9. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, they sure make it look straight...even mentions the legitimate www.donotcall.gov website.

Thanks for the advice, guys. At least it'll serve as a warning to others who may get this e-mail.

10. emw macrumors G4

emw

It is somewhat legitimate. The thing is, the link goes to complete the registration for a specific number, which is strange.

The website is accurate, and it probably wouldn't hurt to register a cell phone number (see the Snopes article). The "hoax" is that there is no deadline to register.

11. dPratt macrumors member

Maybe I'm just missing something. The fact that you do/don't have to register a cell number may be a hoax, but how is this email a hoax? I just registered my number at donotcall.gov, and the email I recieved is exactly like the one mentioned in the first post. After you fill out the form they send you the email and you have to click the link to finish registering your number. If the email itself (in this case) is a hoax, what's the point? All it does it link to the "complete registration" page for someone's phone number. Oh well, I'm not feeling well today and probably just need to go home ;)

12. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'm just wondering why, if I already had that number registered at donotcall.gov (it's my landline phone number), they wanted me to register it again.

Part of me said, "Why would they want me to register twice?"...but another part of me said, "If it's a scam, how do they know my phone number?"

EDIT:

Okay, mystery solved.

I'm telling my wife about this, and how a number of us think this is some kind of e-mail scam, and my daughter, who's sitting in the room with us, goes, "Oh, I registered you for that."

Huh?

"Yeah, I was registering my own phone number, and while I was doing that, I gave them your landline number as well. And I did it under your e-mail address."

Well, I had to have a good laugh at that one. So dPratt is right, it's a perfectly legit registration...I just didn't know I'd made it! :D

13. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

But what would be the difference between cutting/pasting text and typing the address? The real danger, I think, would lie in actually clicking the link.

14. emw macrumors G4

emw

You're not registering it twice - you are completing the registration. They send you the e-mail because you tell them what it is during initial registration setup. (BTW - if that was your e-mail, we now all know your home phone number, so you may want to edit that part out).

The e-mail you received completes the registration. So the 72 hours is to make sure you complete the registration fully. Why they have this second step, I don't know. You could enter anything as you e-mail address, so it wouldn't confirm it's actually you registering your phone number.

15. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, what I meant by "registering twice" was...I'd done that a long time ago, when the Do Not Call list first started. I registered then. So for me to be confirming the registration now would be a second time.

At any rate, now we know the whole story, and I'm still chuckling over it. "Yeah, Dad, I registered you, I just forgot to tell you." Duh!!

16. emw macrumors G4

emw

Haha! Luckily my kids are too young for that.

I'd still recommend you delete the link above, otherwise you'll get a lot of prank calls from your Political Forum friends. (I, of course, have noted the number and will give it out only to appropriately funded requesters ;) )

17. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

A great story. We never warn people to watch out for scammers, phishers, and spammers in their own households! Take a good look at the dog too. What's he/she doing on the computer when you aren't home?

18. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Good advice, and I've done that.

Doctor Q, I don't have a dog, but my daughter has a male cat. I probably should check my browser's history to make sure he isn't using the computer to look for some pu***. ;)