Is this Mac equal?

Discussion in 'Games' started by JOD8FY, Nov 18, 2004.

1. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Hello Everyone,

I have a friend that would really like to switch to Apple but he's a pretty big gamer. Not one of those latest and greatest games on highest settings type of gamer, but recent games with medium-high settings. Right now he is using the following PC:

Pentium 4 2.6GHz
    60 GB Hard Drive (I believe 5400RPM)
    512MB RAM
    ATI Radeon 9700

How would this compare to:

Dual 1.8Ghz G5
    250 GB 7200RPM HD
    1GB RAM
    NVIDIA 6800 GT DDL

I'm not a big gamer myself, but it seems that this is where Macs have a weakpoint. So, would the G5 significantly outperform the PC? How about if it was a singe 1.8GHz G5?

Thanks,
    JOD8FY

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Frankly, if gaming is really that important, a PC is better. more and better games, and the processors are faster.

Of course, I don't think PC gaming is all that most of the time, so maybe just buy an xbox and get a mac to do actual computer work.

3. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

Lets put it this way. Macs and OSX suck for gaming.

If he wants to do gaming go with the PC all the way

4. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

The Mac will outpreform the PC graphically. However, your choice of games will be much less, and the games that are avaliable are 20-30 bones more. If that's not an issue, then i'd say get the mac. I've got the same setup (only my dual is the pci-x version dual 1.8 w/GT) and it's great for games at any res. But i don't have all the games. I've only got demos/COD/MOHAA/Halo/etc etc. Halo benched earlier today @ 51FPS!

I'm hooking up my 19" widescreen CRT later today to do some tests. For some reason, i can't enable pixel shaders... it crashes. I also had FSAA 2x

5. Stallion macrumors newbie

The Mac would do better. The dual G5's are a nice bonus, but the big difference is between the video cards. The 6800 GT kicks the dog crap out of the Radeon 9700. This isn't nVidea bias, my PC is running a Rad 9600XT. I love ATI, but the 6800 GT is a monster vid card. It will run circles around the 9700. Now I'm afraid I don't know much about the G5's (I'm a PC owner looking to buy a mac), but from what I've seen, the dual G5's are gonna be much better than a single P4 2.6.

Now, as far as number of available games, sure PC wins hands down. But he said his friend didn't care to get the latest greatest games, and doesn't need to run them full tilt. Well with a 6800GT, he can pretty much run them at whatever he wants. Don't forget, the vid card makes most of the difference when it comes to games.

Tell your friend, he will be more than happy with his gaming experience on that mac. However, if he is buying the machine specifically for a gaming rig, its not worth it. Spend the money on upgrades to what he already has. If he is like me, and is sick of MS BS, and wants to use it for other things than just gaming, the Mac listed above should do just fine for quite a while, and on any game on the market.

6. hjhhjh macrumors member

the mac will out preform the pc, id say a dual 1.8 ghz g5 is equal to about 3.2 ghz, while a single g5 powermac 1.8 ghz is equal to about 3ghz

7. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

or... Macs and OSX suck for games of PC ports.

Halo was better as a demo on a G3 than it ever has been on P.C.

I would like to see PC hardware happily support a dodgy port of a Mac game to P.C.

Perhaps that's why so many were disappointed with Halo on P.C.

but yes, as things stand, Macs and OSX suck for P.C. equivalent gaming.

8. Stallion macrumors newbie

Guess I should answer the question specifically. Yes, it should significantly outperform the PC because of the vid card. Single processor shouldn't matter overly much. Again, not very familiar with the power PC architecture, but as I remember it performs better at a given mHz level than the P4's do. So the 1.8 GHz should be plenty fast enough.

9. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Why can't he buy an iBook and keep the PC for games? My biggest mistake when buying a mac was my gaming life. Macs do suck for gaming. Who cares how powerful the machine is, when the games you want aren't even compatible, or are badly ported a year after its original release. Tell him to keep the PC for games. He will have to rebuy all of the games he has if he's not keeping the PC. It's not worth it...

10. Stallion macrumors newbie

It's getting better now though, with virtually all the work done in OpenGL which is supported directly by the vid card. So the graphics part is doing better and better. I imagine much of the "problems" people have are less than steller drivers for the vid cards. If nVidia and ATI update the mac drivers as quickly as they do the PC ones, I'll bet you will see a marked improvement. With Mac using better and better ver of these vid cards, I think nVidia/ATI will make it more of a priority to make sure their drivers work better on the Mac.

11. benpatient macrumors 68000

let's put it this way...if you ran the dual 1.8 with the stock video card, the PC would kill it at every game. kill.

when you throw in a 6800, that's just a silly comparison.

Keep the PC. buy a 6800 GT for it and play your games on that.

Buy an iBook with the rest of the money.

best of both worlds.

seriously...if he cares about games at all, then he doesn't want to give up the PC...600 dollar PC=3000 dollar mac (and the PC has better games available).

Having spent the last 3 days playing a LOT of HalfLife2, let me just say that he will want to play this game, and he won't be playing it on a Mac anytime in the next 2+ years, if ever.

Keep the PC, upgrade the graphics card if he wants to. Buy new iBook. Be happy.

unless he does major serious design or film work, the dual G5 isn't worth the cost of entry just to be able to use iLife and Safari/Mail.

12. JOD8FY thread starter macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Thanks for the input everyone.

Like I said, he's not playing the latest games. He's mostly a Real Time Strategy person - C&C Generals, Age of Mythology etc. Pretty much his only FPS is Battlefield 1942.

It sounds like the G5 will outperform the PC, but why aren't Macs considered good gaming machines? The fact that the games come to the market later isn't a big issue.

Also, if you were to create a "bargain" PowerMac, what would you downgrade?

Thanks again,
    JOD8FY

13. Muskie macrumors 6502

Muskie

Yes that G5 will do him great, performance wise. Just make sure your friend is not worried about game selection. Have him look at what games are comming out and are already out for Mac. If the selection of games is satisfactory to your friend, then by all means buy the new G5.

14. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Well, a bargain powermac won't play games very well... The only reason the G5 would outperform the PC is because the graphics cards are so much different. Having a 6800 in a powermac and a 9700 in his PC is so unfair. How about he buys a 6800 for his PC, and gets an iBook (like someone else suggested). The G5 will stink for gaming, no questions asked.

Another question: Why, besides gaming, does he want a G5? Is he video editing, or something? Get a friggin iBook and keep the PC. It's the best deal, and it saves him the most money.

15. JOD8FY thread starter macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

What I'm asking is, why will the G5 stink for gaming?

Also, to answer your other question, the PC is not his. It's a long story, but a friend of his is letting him use it until he can buy his own. In the meantime, however, I bought an Apple PowerBook and he was so impressed with the OS and the machine that he wanted to make the switch too. He also says that he would like to try out Final Cut if he made the switch.

JOD8FY

P.S. - Also, what I meant about the "bargain" PM was what would you downgrade that would still allow the machine to be a good gaming machine? Sorry if I wasn't clear :p.

16. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

WhiteSavage

Wow, nice Mac Gaming spirit I see here. Why dont you all go throw your Macs out the Window and buy a darn $200 Dell!!! Hmmf. I'm ashamed. This guy isnt into many of the newer games. He's into RTS and Battlefield 1942, both found on the Mac console. I play Mac games, I play Call of Duty, Unreal Tournament 2004, Age of Empires II, Escape Velocity, Medal of Honor Breakthrough, and I'm looking into getting Homeworld 2. Every one of these games plays not just good... but GREAT on my 4+ year old Mac.

I have a Dual 1 Ghz PowerPC G4
    2 MB L3 cache per prossesor
    and 1.5 GB SDRAM.

I have no problems beating my Windows-Box playing gamer friends. In no way does the Mac slow me down in playing some of the games I like. And at the same time I do Homework, mess with Graphics, etc. If this guy wants to buy a computer so he can play games and check his E-mail, and do nothing else then yes he can buy all the PC's he'd like. On the other hand some of you are being to hard on Mac's gaming side (I believe mostly because of Half-Life 2 and Halo 2?).

oh well, I'm tired.

P.S. I aint no Graphics designer... Poop, I'm only 16, when I was asked what kind of Comp. I wanted I chose a Mac. I love the OS, I love the way it works, I love not worrying about Virus's, I love having a stable system, I love the Mac pride thing (Cough Cough), And thats why I have a Mac.

17. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

WHAT! Wow dude, your idea of great must not be that great. People with G5's complain about UT2K4. Maybe your mac has some special powers...
    We aren't telling him never to buy a mac. We're saying buy an iBook and keep the PC for games... There's no reason to be ashamed!

18. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

The G5 won't stink, but if, let's say, 6 months down the line there is some great RPG that comes out, and it's only out on the PC. He's screwed over!

How much money is he thinking about spending?

19. thecow macrumors 6502

Did you get a processor upgrade or something because no one had dual 1GHz PMs over 4 years ago?

20. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I use a Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8/256MB Radeon 9800 XT/20" AL ACD and the games I play on it all work great. I have UT2K4 and I have to say it runs perfectly on my system (Is this UT2K4 sucks on Mac some sort of sarcasm I haven't picked up on?). If you don't care about modern Windows games, and want to play the games available on the Mac the G5 is a great gaming platform. Some ports may suck, but a quick search of a site like http://insidemacgames.com/ will tell you if the game is worth buying or not. All this Mac versus PC for gaming stuff is pointless, if you have to have the latest games the day they are released buy a PC, but please don't tell me I can't play games on my G5 because I do every single day.

21. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I've heard people with G5s complain about onslaught. I have no doubt in my mind that an athlon 64 system will kick the snot out of your G5, and it costs fractions less.

22. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Once again this is pointless, I don't plan using Windows any time soon.

23. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

And your post isn't pointless? The poster wants to know if a G5 is going to be a good gaming system. I'm saying that a PC will beat the crap out of the G5. It's a no brainer. There is a better selection on the PC side. I'm not discouraging buying a mac, but a mac laptop and a PC gaming machine, IMO, is the best combination here...

24. JOD8FY thread starter macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

I think he was looking at about $2500.

JOD8FY

25. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

That's awesome... If he is going to have to give the PC back, here is my suggestion: Go to the local mom and pop shop and buy a $1000 athlon xp system with decent graphics and a gig of RAM. Go to apple and buy a $1500 iBook with an upgraded HD, RAM, etc. It's the best of both worlds.