Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

codo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 17, 2006
England, United Kingdom
Hey guys,

So... Had the MacBook for two weeks now and all has been good up until now.

It appears I have some sort of graphics lag when running the Flurry screen saver (Grab attached). When its running, I get horizontal lines running up the screen every few seconds.

I'd really like to know if this happens in every MacBook or if I just have a defect in my model. If possible, could MacBook owners test flurry for me with all the settings set to Max and the "Colour" option set to "Fastest Cycle". Observe for about a minuet, and when it moves and changes colour quickly, do these lines appear?

Presumably this is either the RAM or the Integrated Graphics. As for which, I have no idea as this seems to be the only "lag" I experience - Nothing when adding a dashboard widget or running the RSS screen saver – So, I’m not really sure what it is, but its not normal, surely?

It happens on Flurry in all settings for me, it’s just more obvious when everything is turned right up so I’m not trying to “push it too hard” or anything.

Either way, if it’s an isolated defect or commonplace, it’s very annoying, so I’ll be interested to hear any feedback.

Thanks for the time guys, appreciated.

Chris.

Edit: I have a 2Ghz white, with 2 Gigs of RAM just fyi.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
Actually it's Flurry's fault. It looks like that on Every Single Mac no matter what the hardware or display is. The other screensavers don't exhibit the problem AFAIK.

exsanguinate

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2006
I could be entirely wrong here, but is this not the 'tearing' of a screen image caused by the refresh rate of the graphics not being synced to the display screen? It's a problem I've seen in a few games I have played. Though most games have an option to sync to the screen refresh, it costs you in performance. Could be they just didn't bother with the 'saver.

Or it could be something else, as it would contradict Apple's own advice. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.