Is this necessary for my new PB??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by inlimbo, Feb 6, 2005.

1. inlimbo macrumors 6502

Hi,

Im awaiting my new Rev D 15" PB and have been wasting a hell of a lot of time in these forums looking at things to go with my new purchase - bluetooth keyboards/mice, stands, cases etc...

I came across this site http://www.acmemade.com/powerbook.html which has a cover that goes over ur PB screen to protect it from dirt and oil from the keyboard. Do you think it is necessary? Ive never owned a laptop let alone a fancy Apple PB before so I don't know. I just wanna protect my new baby :)

Read the quote below...
    Sounds like a good idea but maybe I should just get a keyboard protector?

Cheers
    inlimbo...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

That looks really ugly. Please don't do that/

3. inlimbo thread starter macrumors 6502

I dont think they look ugly (or nice for that matter). To me it sounds like its functional. If u want to see ugly have a look at the laptop bags on their site. They are the fuglyist laptop bags I have ever seen!!! :eek: very metrosexual. I think using one of those bags is an open invitation for someone to beat u up and steal ur laptop - with good cause too :D

4. zyuzin4 macrumors 6502

I would get that over my keyboard protector. I didn't wash it enough and the oil on that wasn't absorbed and lefts marks on my screen as the keyboard would've

5. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

Shows what happens when i don't look closely enough... I thought for a second that - that thing stays on all the time. Even in use. And that got me in the stance that i showed on my previous post. It isn't that bad of a product...

kyle

6. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

:rolleyes: Seriously I wouldn't bother. Just think of it when you are going to use the PowerBook. It will just be another thing to remove before power up. I have had mine for about a year now, it goes to work on the train every day in an STM laptop bag and the only thing that happens is it gets a little dust on it. Buy some good quality LCD screen cleaner and clean the display once in a while when it gets too dirty. That should do it. I use klear screen. klear screen site .

aussie_geek

edit: One other thing you should consider is the thickness of the felt that the cover is made of. There is not much clearance between the keyboard and the screen. Having that thing shoved over the display could do some funny things to the hinges and magnetic locking pin on the lid ;) .

7. inlimbo thread starter macrumors 6502

Im not just worried about grim and dust getting on my screen but also the keys making indentations in the screen. I have read lots of such stories in these forums. I will be taking my laptop with me to use at uni - and i carry around a lot of thick text books so im worried about squashing it. The RADTECH NOTEBOOK SCREENSAVRZ looks better than the one I posted before.

Have you had any problems with screen indentations aussie_geek?

What STM bag do you use?

Thanx for the tip on klear screen - i will get myself a bottle.

Cheers
    inlimbo...

8. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

My screen is fine - no indentations. There are little rubber feet that prevent the screen from touching the keyboard. Don't worry - Apple has thought about this. If you are really concerned, Radtech make Wildeepz. They are little feet that attach to the corners of your display to elevate the screen a little higher when closed. But the most important thing regarding indentations on your LCD screen is to make sure there is nothing on the keyboard before you close it :eek:!

I use an STM Medium Alley for my PowerBook. I chose this one because it has good padding in the base of the bag. Some bags have support there but the foam is not sown into the bottom - with other bags, it's like a flap of foam, that can easily fold up and leave one side of the PowerBook unprotected. There is plenty of room for documents and the Power Brick at the front.

This bag probably wouldn't be suitable for you though, considering you will be going to uni and will be carrying books and other trash in there. I'd go for a Medium Sports. Definately consider buying an STM bag - they are made very well and the backpack ones don't look like you are really carrying a $4000 computer in it... :p The best thing is to toddle down to your nearest AppleCentre select the bag you want and ask them to put a PowerBook in it to see which one suits best (don't walk out with that bag before they take their PowerBook out :p). You will find that AppleCentres are more than helpful when it comes to satisfying their Apple customers.

Oh yeah, welcome to the club. Write us a post and let us know what you think of your Mac!!

aussie_geek

9. russed macrumors 68000

russed

well i have had my pb for 18 months and in that time my screen hasnt got scratched or anything so i would say it is uncesessary, also it looks horrible!

10. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

no, not necessary... I think the newer PB's do a better job of keeping the keyboard off the screen when the lid is closed... at least thats my experience, Ive never really noticed any dirt or oil on the screen from the keyboard.

I would just get some iKlear wipes/kit, works great to clean your PB.

11. jbrjake macrumors member

It doesn't just look better, it is better.

I've got the Radtech.us screensaver sheet thing, and also their powersleeve. Both are made out of Optex, which is this nifty tough-yet-silky fabric they own the patent for or something. All I know is that it not only works as a great screen protector, the screensaver is also the best lens cleaner I've ever had. Use it on my glasses daily.

The best part is that when you're not using things made out of Optex, you can just squish em into your bag, since they don't really wrinkle and take up barely any space.

12. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

I think the best way to keep the screen clean is to keep the keyboard and track pad clean.

I have been using my Tibook for 3 years and have developed permanent marks from the areas around the trackpad and a nice horizontal line from the area below the space bar. I travel alot and always over stuff my laptop bag, squeezing the contents. When I had the Tibook into the apple store for other repairs, the good people there tried the clean the marks off, but we finally determined that they were there to stay, lesson learned.

I would recommend the Radtech sleeve, bought one last week from their online store for $15, and although it is alittle late for this powerbook, I will hopefully be using it with a new g5 within year ;)

I have also heard of people using a clean sheet of paper, now that i think about maybe a piece of mylar would work well, any thing to keep the oils from the keyboard off the screen until you can wash it.

13. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

No screen/kb protector

YES, on the TiBooks and the older iBooks a screen protector would be warranted, but the screen is now recessed on the newer models. Having owned both the models I previously mentioned and a Rev B and Rev C AlBook, I have not had any problems with the aluminum models as far as keys making imprints or oil from my fingers.

14. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Not really neccesary at all. Your screen won't get marked up.

I would recemend the Radtech PB sleeves though, they will protect your PB from scratches, even if you use a dedicated bag. It's a good idea.

And Acme made bags are very good. Say what you want about the design patterns, but the build/ qualtiy is very good, and their customer service is excellent.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

i think those bags are sexy indeed :D but ive already ordered myself a Crumpler Wee Bee

16. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I love the ACME bags but I think they're definitely more geared to the feminine 'Book owners - which isn't altogether bad since so many are very masculine bulky leather or youth-oriented backpack style.

I'd love one (Eames in red) but can't really justify since most of the time that my Powerbook comes out with me, I'm going on a trip that necessitates a messenger/backpack so a sleeve does fine

While you're waiting for your sleeve to arrive if you decide to get one, you can use the sheet of packing material. I used to use that but gave up - I've only ended up with marks on the screen once when someone squished something into my bag that pushed the Powerbook quite tightly but they wiped off very easily

17. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

I've used the Radtech sleeves and they're very effective and overall a great product. Very annoying to always remove, and place again though. I've also used the Wildeepz things, I found those to be a lot more effective and less tedious. They stay put but manage to remove effortlessly if need be, which is great.

If you're interested I have a STM bag for sale and a 15" STM glove, which are both here

just private message me

18. inlimbo thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all ur post they have been most enlightening. There is too much scare-mungering in these forums about indents in ur PB screen for the keyboard. U guys have just saved me a whole lot of time and money. :)

I want to get a crumpler bag but they are so expensive! The Very Busy Man looks perfect. I think it may be cheaper for me to suffer exchange rate differences and shipping cost and buy something from the US. :eek:

Cheers
    inlimbo...

19. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

Just as an fyi, my PowerBook came with a piece of soft paper with cutouts for the hinges and latch laid over the keyboard as part of the original packaging. I to this day always use it when I close my PowerBook to take it to/from work.
    That and regular iKleaning seems to do the trick.
    Vanilla

20. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I heartily second the vote for Radtech. I have the screensavrz and powersleevz products for my 15" rev C PB, and they are awesome. Easy to use, and my PB stilll looks brand new after a solid 8-9 months of daily use.