Is this normal? Apple refurb store

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by erickg, Mar 17, 2005.

1. erickg macrumors 6502

Nov 4, 2004
    Just wondering if anyone else thinks this is strange. I was just looking at Apple's refurb store (under the "looking for a great deal" section of Apple's online store) and noticed that there is an unusually large amount of iMacs, Powermacs and eMacs in the refurb store. I've never seen so many in the refurb store at the same time, so I'm just wondering if this could mean something? All three are due for updates and it would make sense that Apple would like to get these out the door at a higher price.

See the attached pdf.

Attached Files:

2. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2003
    Oh Boy...only 14 days to go to the 1 April. i hope we get updated iMac's and Powermacs...
  3. liketom macrumors 601

Apr 8, 2004

some of that list seems like a good deal - get in quick !

looks like they are going to upgrade most of apple's product line going on that sale sheet lol but maybe not

iMac and eMac are the fav's but i'm still holding out for a iBook upgrade and a needed PowerMac upgrade( WWDC most prob)
  4. topgunn macrumors 65816

Nov 5, 2004
    This is normal.
  5. plinden macrumors 68040

Apr 8, 2004
    Hmmm, there definitely weren't that many PowerMacs yesterday when I looked, and no or few eMacs (didn't look closely). The iMacs have been there for several weeks.
  6. vtprinz macrumors 6502

Nov 30, 2004
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a large amount of products being refurbished has anything to do with updates whatsoever. They're refurbished machines, which means repaired for whatever default, be it a factory problem or people sending machines back. Machines being repaired has nothing to do with update cycles. And I highly doubt apple would throw in stock machines into the refurb page just to sell more off. If so, it would make more sense to just have a sale on the regular stock.
  7. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    I think you are correct. BTW, that sure is a sweet deal for the 17" PowerBook.
  8. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Jul 17, 2002
    nar in Gainsborough, me duck
    Yet the UK refurb section had nothing this week
  9. ericssonboi macrumors 6502

Mar 15, 2005
    If only they'd ship this to Canada.. i'd be all over this..
  10. Sunrunner macrumors 6502a

Nov 27, 2003
    Yeah, the refurb page really has nothing to do with any impending upgrades.... nice dream though...
  11. vtprinz macrumors 6502

Nov 30, 2004
    If there were a significant price drop for the refurbs, that would be a different story.

I think iMac refurbs went down in price a little recently?
  12. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Sep 21, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV

It seems to me that Apple does both from time to time. Apple has a strict pricing policy for resellers, so it uses these methods to get rid of excess inventory. So there are three sources of refurbished items: customer returns (which may not all need to be repaired because not all are defective), excess inventory of current models and excess inventory of past models.
  13. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Definitely a good way to get an educational type discount for those that don't qualify. This refurb list is normal, its an ongoing thing that Apple offers.
  14. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Doesn't refurbished mean they are selling computers that have been repaired? Excess inventory is handled by way of rebates and promotional offers with other products or services.
  15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    Yep, I think you are correct. The last "refurb" product I purchased from Apple (an iPod) came in complete retail packaging, shrink-wrapped. The product refresh came a couple of weeks later (drat!). I believe selling off new hardware as "refurbished" is one of the sneaky ways Apple has of clearing out excess inventory before a refresh. They might be good deals, but not as good as they look. Better to wait, if you can.
  16. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Sep 21, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    The only products and services with rebates and promotional offers are printers, AppleCare Protection Plans and .mac, and of course the wireless keyboard and mouse has a special price ($99) at Apple Retail stores if you buy it with a new CPU. That's all I can recall at the moment . .. maybe there was an iSight special deal at some point in time though.