Is this normal behavior for a 5G iPod?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by TWLreal, Dec 5, 2006.

1. TWLreal macrumors 6502

I never use my 5th generation 30 GB iPod a lot so it hasn't bothered me much but here's the problem.

Whenever I stop using it, I press the play/pause button until the screen turns off, put it on hold and then unplug my headphones. As far as I know, this is the most efficient way to leave it be if it's unused for a day or two.

Now, when I want to use it again, I plug my headphones in, remove hold and the only way to wake it up is to press the menu button. Pressing play/pause doesn't do anything.

Is this normal?

I always thought simply removing hold would turn it on or plugging in the headphones if hold isn't on. I mean, the iPod is supposed to be an instant-on device.

2. backsidetailsli macrumors 65816

backsidetailsli

oo damn yeah mine does this too. you think it might be beacuse th headphones were taken out? hmm

3. bill4588 macrumors 6502a

bill4588

whenever i dont use my nano for a couple days I have to press the select (center) button and wait for the apple logo to come up and then wait more for the main menu to load. it's a pain, but what can you do? I think this behavior is entirely normal.

4. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

That's exactly what happens with my 5G iPod as well, except even if it's only been a day that still happens.

5. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Sounds normal to me, I have to press the menu button if it's been off for ages.

6. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

Apple posted a firmware update for the 5g's quite a while back that made them go into their deep sleep mode rather quickly, around 15 hours or so. When it does, I have to press Menu to wake it up. Maybe it's for better battery life? When I bought it new it wouldn't sleep until about 24 hours, but it was cut significantly.

7. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Pushing menu is the proper way to get them out of deep sleep.

This is normal behavior.

8. Nar1117 macrumors 6502

So THAtS what its called: Deep Sleep. Ive always wondered why they have to reset themselves after not using them for a while.

9. nitynate macrumors 6502a

Dont..... Use....... iPod??????

Couple days?

Are you crazy?!

10. freebooter macrumors 65816

freebooter

some have more than one.... or two.... :)