Is this normal behavior for a Dad?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Chuckles, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Chuckles macrumors member

Chuckles

I'm going to hang out at the movies with my friend Alley in a little while. My Dad doesn't know her. He's demanding that I get where she goes to church, how often she goes to church, and her parents' names and phone numbers. She understands completely, and her Dad wanted the same information, but it got me wondering. Is this normal behavior for a Dad? Me and her aren't even going on a date.

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Seems kind of odd to me ... sounds like something my father would have done, and he's 82.

I don't know how I will act when my girls are at the dating age, but this seems overly paranoid, unless church is such a big deal in your family? I guess it would be in my family too, if only so I could warn my kids to keep away from devout Christians.

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Well thats just how it is...got to be careful these days beacause anything can happen. How old are you 13-17? it's normal(to worry) although I'm not a father but i dont know about the church thing.

Bless

4. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

well considering you were born in 1990 and currently 16 years of age i suppose it would make sense.:rolleyes:

5. Chuckles thread starter macrumors member

Chuckles

I'm 15.

I understand that he's just trying to protect me. This isn't a complaint. It's simply wondering. Had to make that clear. :)

6. takao macrumors 68040

takao

seems kinda strange to me ... especially the church part

7. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

yeah, WTF, thats weird, then again i dont know anyone personally that go's the church.

8. bartelby macrumors Core

9. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

None of his business what church YOUR friend goes to, how often etc.
    I think he is just being a control freak.
    When I was sixteen (not that long ago) and wanted to go somewhere I left contact info and time I would be back by, that was enough.

10. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

everyone goes through an occasional paranoid phase. perhaps he saw some scary story on 20/20 or dateline and it has his undercrackers in a bunch. not to worry, i'm sure he's just looking out for you.

11. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Is your family really religious? I don't think your dad should judge who you date on how much they go to church or what religion they are. When I was living at home my dad nor mom ever asked for the other parent phone number. What is your dad going to do with the number? Call them and ask if their daughter is sketch? Seems weird. But I did grow up in a family where I had the freedom to see who I wanted and my parents didn't care. As a parent you obviously should be able to trust your kid. My parents always knew where I was and I always told them the time I would be home (so they could start worrying if I was not home at that time). We all grow up in different families but I have seen the kids who are the most protected do the most ****ed up things. Being a kid, we want to rebel. I saw give kids the freedom and punish them if they mess up and hopefully they will learn their lesson.

12. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

From what? Atheists? Non-Christians? Catholics?

My girlfriend's dad is a minister and even he doesn't care that I don't go to church.

13. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

So we're getting an even split between Europeans not understanding the church part, and USians saying, yeah whatever, makes sense.

14. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Given your age, the parental info and contact numbers seems reasonable. On the religious front, maybe your dad needs to spend some Saturday afternoons with a priest to develop the interrogation technique you will likely see more of in the future.

15. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

see i just do what i feel like and call my dad if i'm going to be back the next day.

i have the type of relationship with my dad where he'll pick me up from a girls house the next morning....

16. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

i don't understand church either, but i do understand an occasional paranoid streak because of television or something. i'd tell my kids to stay away from the bible thumpers personally but that is my own 'thing'. ;)

17. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Same here. :)

That's strange, why church? Is this normal behavior for your Dad?

18. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

19. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

Well, I wouldnt do that to my kid if he was going out with a girl. Kind of embaressing.

I'd take his friends numbers though, just so I would know where he was when I couldnt get a hold of him.

20. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i understand the church part since there are so many non-denominational churches out there with no general description and they could be cults, though most are not

if i hear presbyterian, baptist, catholic, methodist, etc, then i know what i can expect but if it's uncle jim's church of the seventh key of heaven of st. louis, then how do i know it's not some criminal who invented a cult to make money off of naive people?...a generation ago here in northern california, the people's temple under jim jones made the headlines

too many churches founded in the last 150 years have gone through growing pains that many early churches have gone through, like cultlike behavior and an addiction to making money from unsuspecting people...within his lifetime, martin luther saw his reform movement fall into the same sins as the church he broke from

it's not unlike some of the democratic leaders in russia who are corrupt who were corrupt communist bosses before the changeover...ie) the same people running the same rackets

so i totally understand the fear of some churches out there

but churches aside, there is a lot more any parent of a teen has to worry about

21. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Not really. I mean, wanting to know who you're going to be with and a little bit about that person is normal, and responsible, but inquiring about CHURCH habits? I'm sorry.

22. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

my long time employee and friend now says i am not his friend anymore because his church forbids it since i am not a member...it also says his particular sect/corner/territory of christianity, though only a couple of centuries old, is the only true version of the religion...nobody, but 144,000 of its exclusive, high standing members, will go to heaven

and he has given tremendous amounts of his paycheck to that church who is known to be more of a business than a real religion

i would rather have my teenage daughter spend money at macy's and video games than to a fake religion

23. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

thats weird, i always make a point of shouting at the scientologists at totnem court road

24. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Or birth control.

25. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

What a bunch of wierdos! :D Actually I dunno. We aren't religious soo.... yea. I've never heard of anythin like that though.