Is this normal iPod behaviour?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by stevep, Sep 28, 2005.

1. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

Just got a new 20gGb Photo. When I plug it into the iBook it synch's with iTunes and I get the icon on the desktop and the 'Do not disconnect' warning - which all seems fine. As soon as the update is complete however the icon disappears from the desktop. Is this normal? I'd rather like it to stay on the desktop (especiallyas I downloaded a fancy icon from widget:widget.
    Any way to make it stay there all the time its connected, even when the update is finished?

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Did you enable Disk Mode in iPod preferences in iTunes?

3. stevep thread starter macrumors 6502a

stevep

Disc mode isn't enabled at the moment. I did enable it briefly, and the 'do not disconnect' icon was then displayed all the time, on the desktop and on the iPod. I ctrl-clicked and ejected to unmount it (although I was a bit dubious - does the "do not disconnect" warning mean "don't just pull the plug" or does it mean "don't eject" ?

4. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Well that's your problem right there. In order for the iPod to be on the desktop (as a disk, as it were), disk mode must be enabled.

And "do not disconnect" means "don't just pull the plug."

5. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

"don't just pull the plug"

You have to eject it before you can safely disconnect. The iPod is basically like a firewire or USB drive.

6. stevep thread starter macrumors 6502a

stevep

Thanks guys. I'm always pretty careful about ejecting properly, but I was a bit surprised that the warning was displayed all the time, even after the iTunes updating process was done.
    And I have to say I'm a bit disappointed that my new iPod isn't proudly displayed on the desktop for all to see........

7. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Well, just turn on disk mode, and it will be...