Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
Just got a refurb 1st Gen 1GB shuffle. Works great, except for a few minor annoyances. Is this normal behavior?

1) I tried charging from a generic USB battery pack, wall adapter, and car adapter, all with the same result. The ipod light goes green, than turns off. No orange light to indicate charging. I pressed the battery button on the back and it blinks green. What does this mean? Is the shuffle charging or not?

2) When I insert my shuffle without itunes open, it deletes the contents. Only when itunes is open and I insert the shuffle does it preserve the contents. I have my shuffle set for 512mb data/512mb-music, and to not open itunes when inserted.
Is it normal for the contents to be deleted if itunes is not open?

Thanks!
Mandoman

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
How do you know it wipes it when you insert it without iTunes running. If you're going by the assumption of when you open it in disk mode it's empty, that doesn't mean it's been erased. Your music doesn't show up in disk mode. :)

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Do you have Autofill on? If so, do you have the option selected where it'll delete everything on the iPod when it wants to re-fill it?

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
I insert the shuffle, it mounts on my desktop. When I manually
open itunes, the contents are empty. I check the ipod through
headphones, and nothing plays - I get the flashing orange/green
thing indicating is indeed empty.

Only when I insert the shuffle with iTunes already open, does it preserve the contents of the shuffle. Again the question is, is this normal behavior?

Thanks

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
No, that's really strange.

I'd try resetting the firmware on the shuffle, beyond that I don't know. Maybe it's just broken. You might want to try the Apple support boards too.

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
Warbrain said:
Do you have Autofill on? If so, do you have the option selected where it'll delete everything on the iPod when it wants to re-fill it?

Yes, I use autofill and have it selected to delete everything on the shuffle. But the autofill feature works when you hit the autofill button. I don't believe it's an automated feature that automatically runs, you have to actually hit the autofill button.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
milo said:
No, that's really strange.

I'd try resetting the firmware on the shuffle, beyond that I don't know. Maybe it's just broken. You might want to try the Apple support boards too.

Make sure that it's upgraded to the latest software, too. It could be that it's behind in it's updates...

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
Warbrain said:
Make sure that it's upgraded to the latest software, too. It could be that it's behind in it's updates...

I loaded the latest firmware as soon as I got it, and am using the latest itunes 7.

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
The ipod not charging is a real issue I think, at least one
person reported this problem on the apple forums. Guess I'll
take it into a Genius bar for replacement...

iBrad

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2006
Niagara Falls Canada
Exact thing happened to me before I upgraded to the nano. I took it to the Apple Store Genius Bar and the guy looked at it messed around with it, and couldn't get it to work... checked if my warranty was over (it was, by 5 months) So he gave me a brand new Shuffle for free. I was Happy Happy :)

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
Apple Genius tried to recover the shuffle, and it hung up, totally killing it. They had no replacement in parts stock, so they gave me a brand new one from retail stock. I originally bought a refurb and ended up with a brand new one! How sweet is that!

My shuffle no longer deletes itself when I plug it in, so that problem solved. Didn't check the battery charging thing, but I'm sure that's ok too.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Problem resolved.

Mandoman

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.