Is this normal? SLOW...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by twomiracles, Feb 15, 2007.

1. twomiracles macrumors regular

I am seriously thinking there's something wrong with this machine.

First, iPhoto. One of my libraries has no thumbnails, only white dashed lines. I did rebuilt thumbnails, didn't do any good. If I click on a white dashed line, it shows me the photo and the filmstrip above it, but when I exit back out of it, there are still no thumbnails.

Drag and drop stops working. Right now, I can't drag and drop anything anywhere.

Photoshop, oh, photoshop. I have only open Opera, Mail and Photoshop. I have a big image I'm working on, I'll admit that. Right now, it is 3600 x 3600 at 300 ppi resolution and has 8 layers. Not really that big when you think about it, not really that big compared to lots of others I've done. When I drag around a photo on the image, it doesn't move as I drag it. I have to move it and then wait to see where it goes.

I have the 1.66 mini upgraded to 2GB of RAM. My old PC with a P4 processor outperformed this thing. Is this normal? If not, what can I do about it?

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

which version of photoshop are you using? CS2 is not intel native, and is very slow indeed. try get CS3 beta, which is very fast.i

3. twomiracles thread starter macrumors regular

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

huh, interesting. try repair permission and check disk in disk utilities, see if that will do anything good.

5. twomiracles thread starter macrumors regular

What the heck does this mean?

Attached Files:

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

that might be the problem, but i have no idea what that means, b4 other smart ppl reply, u might search google for that error message. good luck

7. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Make sure you are using the DFA disk that came with your OS - although you are intel, so you should be fine.

I got way funky errors using the disks that cam with the computer instead of the OS i had upgraded too.

But ya, go hunt around for help on that message/

8. twomiracles thread starter macrumors regular

Um, well, all of the google stuff I'm finding says to reinstall the OS...which I am NOT going to do. I've had this thing less than two months and this would be the second time. I've had it up to my eyeballs with this machine. If I seriously have to reinstall the OS, I'm making a visit to the retailer where I bought it and demanding something else because I am not going to continue having problems with this machine.

To recap:
    Problems with iPhoto importing items into library. Got error message saying that the External Hard Drive couldn't be found even though the icon for it was showing on the desktop. Reinstalled OS, reformatted the external drive (even though it was formatted FAT32) and installed iPhoto Buddy to help with the situation because I have 13000 images.

I have had one kernal panic and have more than once had to power it off because it quit responding. Once, last week, I think, it hung up on restart and sat at a blue screen overnight. When I found it, I powered off and tried twice to get it to start with the same thing...blue screen that wouldn't go away. Finally unplugged it to get it to work.

Drag and drop stops working...this has happened twice in three days.

Now iPhoto has lost all the thumbnails for one of my libraries.

Photoshop is incredibly slow. Opening, saving, even just moving things around. As I stated above, the items were not moving with the pointer, it took them seconds to actually move. Also, every time I try to open something from off the network within Photoshop, the Finder windows pop up.

Sometimes it even takes seconds for Finder windows just to CLOSE.

Ran disk verify and got the error message above.

I know you guys all love your Macs and I want to, too, but answer me honestly...would you, had you had this experience with your first one?

9. twomiracles thread starter macrumors regular

10. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i did have a slow down 4 month after I got it, but my repair disk process was successful.

In your situation, I would suggest u bring it to closet apple store. or call applecare, 2 months is still inside the phone tech support period.

11. Angrist macrumors 6502

Looks like your HD has hosed your filesystem.

I've had this kinda thing happen before, and it's almost always a hardware fault that propagates into a software problem. It could be a bad HD, bad HD controller, bad RAM (less likely) or a dying motherboard (also unlikely). I wouldn't call it a "normal" problem, but it does happen. Although I've never had it happen to me with new hardware like this, my overworked G4 tower is my worst offender ( I suspect that the power supply is struggling with all of my upgrades)

My recommendation is to back up everything that you can, run fsck by:
    boot into single user mode - hold cmd-S on boot, a black unix screen with white text will appear

type: /sbin/fsck -fy
    and hit enter.
    repeat until you get no errors, or a message saying that the disk is unrepairable.

If that doesn't show any errors were corrected ... download a copy of memtestosx and run that to check your RAM. If the RAM fails, replace it.

The last thing is ... get a copy of alsoft's "Diskwarrior" and run that, it fixes all kinds of filesystem issues that the built in disk utilities won't touch. It's not cheap, but it's worth it.

OR
    Take it into an Apple store and they'll run the same type of tests.

12. twomiracles thread starter macrumors regular

Per AppleCare's advice, I used the startup disks to do a Disk Repair and it seems to be, well, okay. I am also going to run the extended hardware test and see what I find. I don't have an Apple Store, only an Apple retailer who wants to charge me for diagnostics if the hardware checks out okay...um, no, don't think so.

I'll check back after I run the test.

Thanks!

13. twomiracles thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, after doing the disk repair, I have been doing okay today, but now I've opened iPhoto and am trying to open photos over a wireless network and it says it can't find them...but I can see the drive they're on on my network, the icon is in the finder screen. WTH? Seriously, this is just plain ridiculous. How can I get my money back or another machine? I have had problem after problem after problem. What does it take to get someone to take ownership of a situation like this and make it right? Has anyone else had a lemon like me? What did you do?

14. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

to be honest, as far I know, there is another guy who claim he had 5 replacements and still got a lemon in the end.

But, it is rare. call applecare and talk to ppl who has higher position, see if (s)he can give u a replacement, if thats what u want. Otherwise, I would try a re-install of OS if I were you.

15. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

You said you've had it for less than 2 months? I don't know anything about AppleCare and that stuff, but I'd think with a lot of problems, you could have them replace the hard drive.

16. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

My MacBook Pro (CoreDuo) is also doing the same thing with disk utlility, and has done even after an OS Re-install. "The underlying task reported failure on exit". Apple have said they'll take it in on Saturday for the processor whine problem (officially recognised, wahay!) to have a logic board replacement, but the screen is also dodgy and all the battery might be dying, plus this disk utility thing which could be a hard drive related problem, so I may ask for a replacement...

17. twomiracles thread starter macrumors regular

Clevin, I've already had to reinstall the OS once, two weeks after I had it. Do you really think I should have to do it again? That's my whole point, I bought this because I was tired of reinstalling Windows every six months on my PC...and I know there are people who have been running their Mac for years and not had to reinstall the OS...yet I have to do it twice in less than two months? Something just isn't right, don't you agree? I bought it at a local retailer who preached to me that I would benefit by buying it there because of their service, yet she told me to call AppleCare this morning because they don't diagnose software problems. I could bring it in and they'd run diagnostics, but if it turned out that all the hardware checked out okay, I'd get charged for it (this is within 60 days of my purchase!!!). I've just had an incredibly bad experience with this and am at the end of my rope and I don't know where else to go for help.

Thanks!

18. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

calm down, try contact applecare by phone directly, rather than local reseller, see if u can work something out with applecare.

I had my Compaq for 4 years, haven't re-install system for at least 3 years, among which I repartitioned the disk for linux, all without having to re-install my windows, so basically, Im sorry to say u really just have a very bad luck with this machine. Im by no way trying to make u feel bad :eek:

19. twomiracles thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, I know... I appreciate all you guys over here trying to help me get through this fiasco of a first Mac :) . I am going to go ahead and run the extended test tonight and see what it says and go from there.