Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by spicyapple, Aug 17, 2006.

1. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

I made the mistake of messing around with my User Account by changing my name, and also tried changing my shortname. Suffice to say, I think I did something wrong, because after making the changes, and logging back in, I seem to have lost admin rights. Basically, there is no administrator on my Mac!

Here is what the Accounts window looks like. Does this look normal?

I read Apple help and it says to enable root, but I can't seem to log into root without OSX telling me I'm using the wrong administrator name or password.

This is really troubling. Can anyone help?

Attached Files:

2. coastertux macrumors regular

You must have unchecked that box that gives your account admin access. I am not sure what can be done besides a reinstall...sorry.

3. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

maybe you could create another administrator account and use that account to enable administrator privileges on your account and then delete the temporary account. i don't know if this will work but it's worth a shot before taking coastertux's advice.

4. spicyapple thread starter macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Catch-22. I need to be an admin to make new accounts... :(

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's a bit of a pain but I'd maybe look into doing an Archive & Install. This should keep all your data plus give you a fresh system to work with. :)

6. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Do you have the root account enabled?

You might want to try that and see if you can log in as root to fix give one of the users admin access.

do as little as possible if you log in as root though.

Edit: hopefully you already had it enabled. Otherwise you might not be able to enable root...
    Edit 2: You might be able to re-enable admin access through single user mode as well. Maybe some of the more Unix savvy members might know how to do this?

7. spicyapple thread starter macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Nope. Can't enable it in Netinfo.

I can enter my admin password and change the netinfo settings (group admin settings), but when it comes to saving the changes to disk, netinfo tells me I don't have enough privileges to write the changes. :eek: So I'm stuck back where I left off. Very odd behaviour.

Yes! I want to avoid that as much as possible! :) Ah well, I'll just sleep on this and hopefully the solution will come to me.

8. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I have no idea if this will work but you can give it a shot.

Boot into single user mode by holding command and S during boot.

while there change the root password
    >sudo passwd root

reboot. At the login window try to login as root with the new password. If this works you should be able to give one of your accounts admin access. If not... it was worth a shot.

I know you can also boot off the CD to reset any passwords, including root, which might also enable root access so it might also be worth a shot.

9. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

If that doesn't work, change root password from the install CD/DVD. Once you change the root password, you should be able to change your settings in System Preferences to allow typing in the user name and password. Once you've changed that, log out, log in as root, and create a new Admin.

10. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Another thought, (the single user trick doesn't work, I just tried).

try logging in with a username of Admin. Password should be whatever your admin account password was.

However there is a high probability that this will log you in to your Admin account with no admin privileges.

I know I'm just making this stuff up as I go along but I'm a bit reluctant to remove my admin account to try this.

If you have a recent backup you can backup your user directory to save any data you might have changed since your last backup and restore your machine from the previous backup. If you backup the whole machine it should re-instate your old account with admin privileges. Then all you have to do is copy over the updated files.

11. spicyapple thread starter macrumors 68000

spicyapple

It indeed required a reboot into single user mode. :)

I finally was able to fix the problem following this link. So glad I fixed it... the thought of a re-install was too frightening to bear.

Remember kids, don't muck around trying to change your shortname and changing settings in Netinfo Manager without having a clue. :D