Is this PB a good deal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Rubin421, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Rubin421 macrumors member

Dec 24, 2004
    New York
    A friend of a friend of mine is offering me the following 12" Powerbook for $1100:

1 Ghz G4
    512 MB RAM
    40 GB HDD
    Built-in Airport & Bluetooth
    With Panther, Office 2004 and Keynote.

1. Do you think this is a good deal?
    2. Should I wait for the expo, even if I'm probably gonna go for a second hand PB?

Thanks guys.
  2. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2004
    (my answers do not take into account any software)

1. No ... unless your friend's birthday is coming up. It's not a crazy bad deal, but the specs/price are too close to a new iBook ... if the processor, HD, and optical drive are driving this decision, just go iBook. If you need some of the extra PB features/prefer its looks, check for deals around. My college bookstore is closing out the current generation (1.33 GHz, Combo, 60 GB) of new 12" PBs for $1110. SuperDrive version for not much more. These would have a better GPU and FSB too, even than the current iBooks. Of course that particular deal is only for faculty/staff/students at my school, but I can't imagine they're alone. I can't be the only person in this forum to have witnessed serious PB price drops lately!

2. Definitely. Prices on the current PBs will do anything but go up, and my guess is they are headed down. Speculation on this forum seems to have reached a consensus that even if not at MWSF, a PB bump is coming shortly (in January probably).
  3. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Aug 19, 2004
    Well, the software sweetens the deal a little, but only if you were going to buy that software anyway. Otherwise it's kind of a waste.

As has been mentioned, those specs are awfully close to the current iBooks.

Check this out: Amazon is having major rebates on some iBooks / Powerbooks. This iBook sells for $1000; once you throw the -$150 on that, and once you consider the absence of sales tax (err, unless you live in the few states where Amazon taxes), you get away with a very comparable machine to the one you're interested in, for just $850. Add more memory and you have almost the same machine, minus a few perks like the hard drive and possibly the graphics card (I'm not positive).
  4. mactropy macrumors member

Dec 4, 2004
    Also, if you are a student at a university you are eligible for the educational rebate which would bring the entry-level PB (w/o SuperDrive) down to 1399 $.

That's pretty close to the price that you were quoting . . .
  5. thevessels macrumors regular

Apr 6, 2004
    i just got a :

15 AL powerbook
    768 ram
    60GB HD
    TONS of software ( final cut ect.. )
    oh AND an airport extreme base station!
    all in mint condition and original packaging
    for ... 1200 US

im pretty darn happy with my setup...

you just gotta find the deals ... mine was eBay .. oh yeah!

oh airport and bluetooth aswelll...:D
  6. micvog macrumors 6502

Sep 10, 2003
    FWIW I recently sold a 12" PB rev. C (mint with all docs and packaging) for $1500:

1.33GHz G4
    768MB RAM
    60GB HDD
    Airport & BT
    Panther... no Office, Keynote
  7. yoda13 macrumors 65816

Sep 26, 2003
    Personally, I don't think that I would pay that amount for that setup. I think that I had rather have a new iBook. But that is just my two cents. ;)