Is this possible - 1 itunes library fully accessible by home network

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sav, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Sav macrumors newbie

Hi, First time post on here but long time reader.

I have a G4 800 FP iMac running Panther and itunes 4.7. I have my itunes library on an external firewire drive in a shared area which is accessible to all users on the mac even when fast user switching.

I recently had reason to purchase a Dell PC :eek: (cheap tax break employee purchase - shhh) and installed itunes on there. I have an airport network and can see my shared music library fine when my mac is logged in and itunes loaded up.

Because I have been installing numerous patches and security products onto the PC I have been using it quite a bit - nowhere near as nice as the mac - although I must say I prefer the new MSN messanger beta to the amsn client I use on my imac. Getting back to the point - I would like a method of being able to use itunes on both machines and have a fully synchronised library. I am in the process of justifying a new powerbook purchase for myself so this would also want to have access to the same library. I find it a pain at the moment to have to go back to my imac just to log in so I can listen to my music. I could leave it logged in all the time - but it is 3 years old and is getting a bit tempremental with the graphics card overheating or something and crashing periodically. It also means I cannot burn from the PC because effectively I have nothing in my PC itunes library. And purchasing from the music store has to be done by going back on to the imac if I want to keep all my music in one place.

My grand idea is to buy a mac mini to sit next to my dell PC (I can switch the DVI enabled monitor over at will) which would act as a kind of music server. I could leave this logged in all the time and basically used as a file server that contains my itunes library.

I could then point all my various machines's itunes library location at this network library and presumably perform all itunes functions on any machine then - purchasing, organising, burning (aka rip,mix,burn :D ).

Yes I know this would need some setting up of network accesses and plenty of tweaking to get permissions right. I also know from fast user switching experience that if one user is logged into itunes then it locks access from other machines/users - that would not be an issue as I generally log off each one when not in use.

I would be nice to be able to go to any machine in the house imac, pc, pb and be able to use itunes with the same music library accessed by all of them.

I have no other need of a mac mini but it would seem an ideal solution to me. So does anyone think this is possible or are there potential pitfalls lurking.

Many Thanks for your time reading this.

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Don't know about synchronizing...

...but if you have all your music on the mini it's very easy to access that music from the rest of the machines in your local network. Just use the "sharing"-feature built into iTunes...

3. Sav thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't just want to use the inbuilt "sharing" option though. I am using that now on the PC accessing the shared library held on my imac. It doesn't allow me to burn or modify playlists from the PC though - I have to go back to the imac to do that - which involves walking downstairs :eek: . More than the burning though is purchasing from itms. I would have to go to the imac to do that if I only used the sharing via rendezvous option - otherwise anything I purchased on the other machine would not go into my main music library.

Thanks anyway....

I think it would work the way I proposed but don't want to buy a mac mini to find out it is not gonna be useful to me. It would be worth the cost of a mac mini to me if all it did was become a fileserver which allowed me to fully access - and update a central itunes library