Is this possible? DS+PowerBook

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Firstly I know little about networks, which is why I'm asking. but my PowerBook gets an okay connection from the wireless router. I mean it's definitely useable. but my Nintendo DS will only work with WiFi if it's in positioned in a strong stream , about an inch wide in my room. Even then the signal fluctuates so much it drops connection altogether.

I'm wondering if I can piggyback the internet from my PowerBook to the DS. Is this possible in any way?

just to clarify this is what I want in diagram format;
    Wireless Router <----(wireless)----> PowerBook <----(wireless)---> DS

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

2. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

oh um... that was strange. Whilst trying to get my DS/PowerBook to communicate I thought "I changed my routers IP address since the last time I played online, lets change that data for the hell of it". and low and behold... I have a 2/3 bar wifi signal on my DS!
    What on earth happened? Can changing the IP address affect signal strength? I mean I walked around my room trying to find a weak spot but it didn't drop to even 1 bar! - what 192.168.1.1 used to give me!

This is very strange...

my original question still stands though. I'd love to set up my PowerBook as a WiFi amplifier for a greater WiFi range in my house and the surrounding land.

3. 7on macrumors 601

7on

If you buy a PCMCIA wifi card or a USB OSX compatible wifi card it should be relatively simple. Go to sharing and go under internet and share from Airport to Airport (1) or whatever the new card is named.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Mmm interesting.

I assume you will have to turn internet sharing on, share from Airport and have airport ticked on the bottom.

You may have to assign your aiport an IP address instead of DHCP simply because you need a static address for the ds to connect to rather than a ip that can change.

In aiport take a not of the settings already DHCP asigned to it and simply jot them down on a scap piece of paper.

Then change setting to manual and assign the IP address (i.e 10.0.1.20 or 192.168.0.20) you just jotted down, the subnet gateway (usually always 255.255.255.0) and the router address (my airport is 10.0.1.1)

Then on the DS go into wifi setup and let it search for an access point. Your powerbook should appear in the list, tell it to connect to it and run the test and keep your fingers crossed it works.

If not you will manually need to change settings and add the ip address yourself you can do this on the DS.

Good luck ;) :)

5. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

ah so I need a new WiFi card. I see. I might pick up a little USB one if that's the case.

to the spooky magically wifi enhancing story - All my WiFi games are picking up a near-full signal now! I thought it might have been a bug on the TH game. Infact I get the same signal in my room as my sister room right above the router! hmm. compasses do act funny in this area.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Mate, what wireless device are you using?

If your using Airport Express, go into airport settings in utilities and change the channel to 6. I find my signal travels a lot lot further on channel 6 and signal strength is much improved.