Is this possible with iPhoto?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by omeletpants, Jan 1, 2007.

1. omeletpants macrumors regular

Oct 21, 2005
    I would like to automatically increase the contrast a bit on all my photos before they are printed out. Is there any way to tell iPhoto to do this when they are downloaded from the camera?
  2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

Oct 12, 2006
    Pasadena, CA
    I just played around with iPhoto trying to do this and I couldn't find a way. Personally I wouldn't want this to happen with iPhoto anyway since it saves any changes from the original as a whole new file, thus it would double hard drive space required for your pictures. You'd have to change them before importing them into iPhoto... Which is why I'm saving up for Aperture... make all the changes you want and it won't take up HD space :)
  3. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

Aug 29, 2006
    you could try using automator, but it would do this afterwards, have double HDD space needed
  4. aristobrat macrumors G4

Oct 14, 2005
    Maybe use Image Capture to move the images from the camera to the hard drive, then running Automator on them, then drag the "fixed" images into iPhoto?

It looks like there's an "Example Workflow" in Automator that's close to what needs to get done (called "Process Images").
  5. emptyCup macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2005
    Am I correct in assuming that you want to batch correct your photos as they are downloaded from the camera? There are many ways to individually edit them after they are downloaded.
  6. subwarm macrumors member

Feb 4, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    I agree with above, try out Automator. But as he warns you will end up with doubles of your photos essentially eating up your HD rather quickly. God forbid you sync your photos up with your iPod - that iPod Photo Cache folder will ruin you there too in terms of eating gigs.
  7. aristobrat macrumors G4

Oct 14, 2005
    If you use Image Capture to pull the images to your Desktop, then Automator to process them, and and then only drop the processed imagines into iPhoto, you're not going to get dupes, right?

The worst case is a folder on the desktop that needs cleaning up, and even then, it would be easy enough to have the last action that Automater does is to put that in the trash for you.

From what I've seen, you can even have the Image Capture part be part of the Automator script so there's really nothing to manual to be done.
  8. PatrickF macrumors 6502

Feb 16, 2006
    You could always give iPhoto Batch Enhancer a go. I've had a very quick look at it and while it didn't quite do what I wanted it sounds like it'll do what you want it to.