Is this possible yet?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by kidzdoc, Feb 11, 2007.

1. kidzdoc macrumors newbie

Sorry if this has been asked, but I have some DVDs ripped on my HD as VIDEO_TS files. I would like to be able to use Front Row and the remote to launch them. Is this possible yet? I've tried Handbrake to convert them to MPEG4 files, but the quality was less than acceptable. I would like the quality to be DVD-like, but not sure if this is possible with Handbrake. I'm watching these on my 23" ACD monitor for now. This is all in anticipation of getting the Apple TV when it comes out. Any suggestions?

2. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Your going to have to play with those settings in Handbrake.

Download VLC, then open the VIDEO_TS files in there and see how the original quality is. Handbrake can't make it look any better than it is on that DVD.

3. GraceMolloy macrumors regular

GraceMolloy

I personally use MP4 h.264 base profile not main, and I use bit rate of 1500.

Quality is not any worse IMHO than anything else I've downloaded.

As an example, Fifth Element is 2:06 in length and is 1.46GB in size.

I'm pretty sure I was using 160KB AAC for the audio.

4. richmon22 macrumors member

on the computer i like "drive in" http://www.flip4mac.com/drivein.htm to save movies to my HD, it saves menus and all but takes like 7 gigs for one movie with a phew features. it has dvd quality playback and plays in DVD player programs and i think works in front row under the DVD feature.

as for apple tv i do not know.

5. bmb012 macrumors 6502

If you have Toast, you can use that to make .toast files with those files you have, mount those on the desktop... will front row play those as DVDs?

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

If you turn up the bitrate on Handbrake it'll look fine.

I actually consider 2000 acceptable (looks great on the iPod, on the TV I hook the iPod up to, and on the MacBook) but put 3000 or 4000 and it'll look practically like DVD. And do two-pass encoding.

2000 puts a two hour movie down to 1.25 GB or so and looks great.

7. kidzdoc thread starter macrumors newbie

Update

Thanks for the replies. I've re-tried Handbrake at a bit rate of 1500 and it looks pretty good on the 23" monitor. I'll try a higher bitrate for future rips and see if it looks better.

-doc