is this possible????

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by JonoColesUK, Jan 23, 2005.

1. macrumors member

JonoColesUK

I guess this is the right place to post this

here goes:

would it be possible to use my G4 Powerbook screen to play my PS2??

was just a wild thought

anyone?

cheers

Jono

2. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Short and sweet.

No.

edit: ok, ok, ok, so it *might* be able to be done :eek:...but not in any way that is actually worth while doing ;) :D

3. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

If you could find a low-latency analog->DV converter, then yes, you should be able to do that (i.e., open up the DV stream in iMovie or another app - can't remember which as I've been shoveling for hours and am exhausted...).

4. macrumors G3

This has been discussed many times on the forums - a forum search mught gave fotten yoou the answer.

You could do that with an external video converter which would cosy at least $150 up to $300 or so. However, there would be a noticeable delay in the video getting to your screen wich would make pretty much any game unplayable.

In other words, don't even bother trying it.

5. macrumors 68000

This looks like it might work. Never had any experience with it, though. Maybe the ElGato EyeTV would work?

Basically, Google around for Firewire video input devices compatible with OS X. that's all I did...

6. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

My smart ass answer was going to be "maybe, but it's a lot easier to use your fingers."

Anyway, I'm not sure if the analog->DV converters out there have low enough latency for gaming. You could use that approach to watch TV, etc., on your Mac, but probably couldn't use it to game.

7. macrumors G3

Some of the converters come with an app o display the video as it's coming in. For example the Formac Studio TVR comes with such an application - of course you use that application to watch TV.

But then again as has been said, the lag(latency) will kill off pretty much all game playing.

8. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

I can verify that the Elgato EyeTV, while a nice product, has god-awful lag, on the order of seconds.

9. thread starter macrumors member

JonoColesUK

cheers

:p

thats what i thought

oh well

thanks anyway

Jono