Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RickT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
I am returning from USA to live in UK. My wife loves NPR (Public Radio) here and wants to listen to the internet feed of the programs. However, does this mean she is 'tied' to the computer or can we play the intenet feed through our hifi set up? Problem is that the computer will be sited well away from the room we normally sit in.
I am getting a new iMac and using a broadband ISP, was planning on getting a combined wireless modem/router (telephone line is inconvenient to most places in our house!!) but have no idea if/or I could use a wireless way of connecting the hifi to the iMac.
Sorry if this is confusing but I am a computer user rather than technical. Anyone any step-by-step solutions?

thanks.

Kobushi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
Right behind you.
Easy. Get an Airport Express from the apple store. You can plug your broadband into it as well as your hifi (that means stereo to us Americans right? :p ). I have this set up at home right now. Your wife will be able to stream NPR direct to the speakers while you surf the net on another computer, if you like.

Kobushi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
Right behind you.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot.

Your new iMac will include an Airport Extreme card. This will allow you to communicate with the wireless base station at 54Mbps, so you won't need to buy anything additional for that computer. So, unless you have another computer you want to share the internet connection with, you should only have to purchase the Airport Express.

Here's the link

I've been very pleased with mine and currently have it set up to play whatever's in iTunes through the stereo as well as have high speed internet for both the desktop and laptop without having wires all over the house. You can also share a printer with these things :) It's great! Ask if you have any other questions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.