is this possible?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Storrow, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Storrow macrumors regular

i just upgraded my macbook memory from 512 to 2 gigs. i have windows installed via bootcamp 1.1. I know the macbook's memory is tied into the graphics card somehow. is there a way i can tell Windows to use more of the ram as video ram to increase video game performance? i know this probably is wishful thinking, and the game im playing, Final Fantasy XI (Windows), works pretty good as it is, but it would be cool if i could devote more ram to video since i upgraded to 2 gigs. The 2 gig upgrade did not make a difference in video performance at all. Thanks for any response!

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I think you'll probably find that increasing the allocated VRAM isn't going to make much difference. The bottleneck here will be the processing power of the GPU.

Having said that, I know there is a way of allocating shared VRAM in windows, but I can't for the life of me remember how to do it...

3. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

I think memory allocation is very likely controlled by the BIOS, so you might be able to get into the BIOS setup and change it from there. Just a guess...

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Guys - wndows is quite inteligent in this respect. It will allocate ram when needed. If your only doing bare stuff it will use minimum amount of ram. Start a game and it will allocate upto 224mb of ram. As much as it deems necessery.

You do not have to do anything. period.