Is this RAM no good?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Astral Cars, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Astral Cars macrumors regular

So I ordered RAM from crucial, got it stripped a screw trying to open the RAM door, brought it to the Apple Store, got that straightened out, came home, installed the RAM and I turn on the computer and still thinks there is only 512MB. What's wrong? should I just take it out and put it back in again? is the RAM bad? Please help.

Oh, and it's a 15" PB if that matters.

2. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

I would gently remove and put it back in, making sure it seats in fully. Remeber to decharge yourself - I touch a metal object to make sure I've gotten rid of any static right before I touch the RAM and put it in.

3. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

erm....

How would we know if the ram is good or not, when you haven't given us any details? How about a link to the exact stick you bought. Also, did you put it in 100%? You kinda have to cram ram into a Powerbook, and it's a little scary.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

When you install the RAM module, very little or none of the module's contact pins should be showing once it is inserted in the socket. If you can see more than 1/32" of contacts, you don't have it inserted far enough.

Which model Crucial did you order? Ans what is your model of Mac, exactly --the speed, Aluminum or Titanium? The Aluminum 15" 1 GHz and 1,25 GHz do NOT take the generic Crucial SODIMM, there is a special part number for them.

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    It's most likely faulty RAM but there have been reports of Powerbook bottom memory slots failing so it might be worth switching the memory modules around to see if it works in the other slot.

Incidentally, you did push it until you heard a good 'thunk' into place? It's quite easy not to push it right in but still be able to shut the door on the PB so it wouldn't see the RAM.