Is this ram ok?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Slipmip, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Slipmip macrumors newbie

2. dreamsINdigital macrumors 6502

No, that is for desktops. You need 200 pin notebook memory.

3. meepm00pmeep macrumors 6502

meepm00pmeep

4. Slipmip thread starter macrumors newbie

5. PowerMike G5 macrumors regular

DataMem is an excellent place to buy memory ... they are generally cheaper too ...

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Slipmip - while you may get lucky choosing generic RAM from a discounter, if you are inexperienced with Mac hardware, it may be better to choose RAM that is tested and guaranteed Mac compatible from a reputable dealer. That way, you don't have to take on the responsibility of choosing the correct specs.

In the USA, Crucial, OWC (MacSales) and Data Memory Systems are most often recommended by MR Readers.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

7. PowerMike G5 macrumors regular

Yes, Crucial is another vendor I highly recommend, although DataMem may be a little cheaper still ...

8. Slipmip thread starter macrumors newbie

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

It is the correct nominal spec. Of course, those aren't all the specs that determine compatibility. Voltage stability, timings and SPD settings have to be correct as well.

Now contact ZipZoomFly and ask if they will guarantee it will work in your MacBook, and refund your money AND your shipping if it doesn't.

Don't hold your breath waiting for an answer.

Here's all the info OCZ gives for MacBook compatibility
    "1GB Module MA346G/A Call"

So it might work for you, might not. If you want to take the chance to save $15, that's OK, or you can spend $15 more and get guaranteed compatible RAM.

10. tanda4 macrumors newbie

Besides the price, what is the difference between the econo and regular ram at DMS?

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The EconoRAM has a one year warranty, and is made with second-tier brand name chips (CEON, others), the DMS regular RAM has a lifetime warrranty and is made with Samsung, Micron, Hynix, Elpida, Swissbit or Infineon chips.

Either way, they are tested and guaranteed to work in the Macs they are advertised for.

Similarly, OWC has their 'no-name' RAM, and for more money, their Techworks brand.

12. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

My fav ram portal has been www.ramseeker.com. You may find a slightly better deal at another company that also guarantees compatibility. I recently bought from Omnitechnologies and would recommend them highly. They are communicative (i.e. they answer emails) and ship at reasonable rates.

Good luck.

13. DavidCL23 macrumors 6502

I have an almost new MA346g/a original apple stick of ram from my new macbook pro available for sale if you have not yet purchased your extra ram :)