Is This Right?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, Apr 10, 2006.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/09/AR2006040900890.html

How do you lot "over there" feel about your own government specifically targeting you, their electors - at least in theory - with propaganda?

2. iGary Guest

iGary

3. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Travel light.

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It's illegal to target Americans with propaganda, not that bushco cares a whit about legality....

5. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

haha.

Tell that to the Ad Agencies. Or most of the Media. Or any Special Interest Group and subsequent politician(s).

I don't need a memo to tell me that pretty much everyone is telling me whatever version of the truth that serves their interests best.

I'm almost flattered...

Speaking of propaganda - Skunk, did you like the comments your Mr. Straw had to say about Iraq the other day?

6. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

He makes my skin crawl. Smug prick.

7. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Let's see...what other gov'ts are known for their use of propaganda...?

Hmm, yes:

Red China
    Soviet Russia
    Nazi Germany

Maybe we'll have a new one to add to the list! :rolleyes:

8. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

No, the US is already a member of that list. Propaganda was very prevalent during both WWs, that's in part, why laws have been passed forbidding it. Unfortunately, history is too often for bushco something that happened under "different" circumstances.

9. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

He's been quoted all over the place the last few days, saying "It's not an option, it's ridiculous" etc etc.
    As if he knew. In the power structure of our current government he's pretty low down the list.
    I agree with your comment BTW.

10. Qoxiivi macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

It’s hard to consider practically anything that’s printed, said on television or radio or generally communicated to the population at large (especially in capitalist democracies) as not being propaganda. If you use the word in its truest sense.

Like ‘terrorism’, the word itself is now only ever used to describe the related activities of state enemies and almost never pinned (however accurate the accusation might be) on ‘allied’ actions, literature and posturing.

The description ‘propaganda’ was used openly to describe advertising (which is essentially what it is) and its diverse techniques right up until the second world war when it was given a ‘bad name’ by being the label also applied to, amongst others, German and Soviet political and ideological coercion. The conglomerate of entities that champion its tools and techniques is now referred to as the ‘public relations industry’ – a fairly telling moniker in itself.

Modern mass propaganda or 'the conscious manipulation of the organised habits and opinions of the masses' was pretty much invented by a man called Edward Bernays (known as the father of PR) in the 1920s and, after its demonstrable results in various corporate-sector activities, adopted as political tool – ‘essential to any democracy’. In fact, it was his work and writings (along with Walter Lippman’s and others’) that were the main inspiration behind Adolf Hitler and Joseph Goebbels propaganda campaigns.

And yes, even today it’s used by governments and corporations (usually in conjunction – sometimes obviously, other times elaborately) to essentially control the population for whatever ends – usually monetary.

Your quoted piece is undoubtedly true – the only slightly peculiar thing about it is that it’s printed in a mainstream paper. Although I suspect nothing big will be made of it and it’ll probably sink without trace in a few weeks. Hopefully not though.

I know the type of propaganda you're referring to and I'm sure you're right but, in reference to propaganda as a whole, you couldn't be more wrong. It's still there - all the time - and especially in wartime (which is pretty much all the time) only now it's more subtle. And effective.

Anyone interested in the subject will find the following books as fascinating as they are essential in understanding how governments (especially relevant to US internal and foreign policy but applicable to most governments) and corporations work:

Manufacturing Consent by Noam Chomsky
    Propaganda by Edward Bernays
    Public Opinion by Walter Lippman
    Selling Free Enterprise by Elizabeth Fones-Wolf
    Deterring Democracy by Noam Chomsky
    Necessary Illusions by Noam Chomsky

Or selected and relevant stuff by John Pilger, Robert Fisk, Noam Chomsky, Howard Zinn, Arundhati Roy, Tariq Ali, George Monbiot... or at the very least read 1984 and Catch 22.

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Doesn't surprise me in the least. Remember those unscripted open townhall meetings where no one asked any serious questions, then it turned out they were prescreened. Or when they accidentally showed the group of soldiers in Iraq (one of them being a public relations officer) being coached before Bush talked to them. The only people who do that are the ones with something to hide. I think most of us know that by now, but you can still fool ~30% of the people some of the time.