Is this router going to work?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lilsuprano, Sep 11, 2005.

1. lilsuprano macrumors member

2. Josh2022 macrumors member

Should, most routers are universly compadiable(Mac, Windows, Linux ETC) .. Usually you shouldnt need any drivers for it..

3. lilsuprano thread starter macrumors member

So I just set it up with my modem, and then turn Airport on on my iBook, and it should detect the network?

Eric

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Eric,

Yes, it should not have trouble detecting the network. If you set it up with WEP, then you will have to enter the password on initial connect, and thereafter, the iBook will remember it. Otherwise, it will just ask you if you want to join the network and you say, "Yes, please." :)

Hmmm...but where do you live, that you are buying an 802.11b router in late 2005? Unless you are getting this router for <$20, I can't imagine a good reason to get it over an 802.11g router such as the compact Linksys one, which can be had readily for $40.

5. lilsuprano thread starter macrumors member

#1- What's a WEP...and what password would I need to enter?

#2- Is there really a disadvantage to getting this one if I'm only using it with my iBook?

Eric

6. Lazyhound macrumors regular

1. WEP is an outdated wireless encryption protocol. I would recommend using WPA-PSK if the router supports it. You would choose the password for it yourself when setting up the router.

2. Not really.

EDIT: That router looks like arse. Unless you're getting a good deal on it, go for a Linksys WRT54G as recommended above.

7. lilsuprano thread starter macrumors member

Yeah it is really ugly...I'm looking at a Linksys one though, don't know if it's going to work out though.

Eric

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ditto'ing Lazyhound, yes, the lack of WPA is another reason that the router you linked isn't so great... most current 802.11g router from Linksys, Netgear, DLink or Belkin would probably be a better choice, unless cost is very prohibitive. But again, even based on cost, you should not be paying much more than $20 for the router you linked.

FWIW, I'm not sure what Lazyhound meant, but I think that when he said that it "looks like arse," he is talking about the features (as was I) and not the appearance. You really want a router with 802.11g and WPA if possible...it doesn't have to be an Apple router by any means, just ought to have those features.

9. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

10. lilsuprano thread starter macrumors member

Hey guys, I ended up getting a brand new Linsys router...not a B but a G one..so its good...how good? well i'm in my backyard right now, and the signal is almost full..and the router is in the basement :p

Eric

11. Lazyhound macrumors regular

G is five times faster than B, so you did well (not that you'll ever need it). Did you remember to set up the encryption?

12. lilsuprano thread starter macrumors member

If you're taking about the WEP, then yup. I had to enter a 10 digit password, and then when I was trying to access the network, I had to enter it on my iBook also. Very simple to be honest. It works really fast, I can't even tell I'm wireless!

Eric

13. Lazyhound macrumors regular

WEP or WPA? WEP takes about five minutes to crack.

14. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Finding an open network takes even less time... wardrivers usually just move on.

15. lilsuprano thread starter macrumors member

I'm not worried about someone cracking my network...My closest neighbors are like 80 year olds, so it's all good. It is WEP though.

Eric

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

WPA is better, but WEP is better than nothing. If you learn how to use the router more effectively, you might consider restricting it to known MAC addresses and making it aware of your iBook's MAC address. This will substantially enhance the security, even using WEP.

In any event, glad it's working out for you! You will never want to go back to an ethernet cable now, I bet! :D

17. lilsuprano thread starter macrumors member

Not at all...hell, I don't even want to go back on my PC ever again....OSX Tiger is just amazing....iBook + Airport = Computing Bliss

Eric