Is this safe???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mariahlullaby, Feb 22, 2005.

1. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

Ok, I've finally put my PC on eBay. I started it at $1200 with a Buy It Now at $1999. Two people have emailed saying they are interested in the BIT, but they want it shipped to Africa (one in Nigeria). Is this normal?? I don't usually sell on eBay, so is it normal to ship to Africa?? Can you be scammed as a seller?? I'm just wondering because $1999 is actually a little pricey for the computer, though it comes with Microsoft Office, a mouse, etc.

Advice!! Thanks :) :)

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Not that it is 100% a scam but... I'd say don't do it.

3. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

At least get the money in your hot little hand before shipping.

4. cubist macrumors 68020

Scam. They will agree to the deal, but then want to send you a cashier's check for more than the amount, with you wiring the residual amount back to them. The cashier's check will seem to be good - your bank will say it has cleared - and then, several days later, the check will turn out to be bad.

If they pay by paypal, they will receive the computer, then claim they didn't, and paypal will cheerfully refund their money, taking it out of your account, and you have no recourse.

I feel sorry for legitimate purchasers in Nigeria, but I'd say there's about a 95% probability that any offer from there is a scam.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, so true. Especially if you get a complex story about using wire transfers or bank deposits, and the person happens to be a member of parliament or a foreign minister in exile. :(

But do be careful, please, please be careful.

Also, just in terms of practicality, you are probably going to get into some headaches involving customs and duties if you sell to someone outside your home country, aren't you? Although once I bought a road bike from someone in Canada online, and he was able to send it to me without trouble....

6. Creative macrumors newbie

dont do it! i repeat: dont do it!!!

hi

i have recently been selling and buying from ebay. as you are new i'd hate for you to get scarred by this! i have read so much over the net about people being ripped off by people in nigeria and other african countries. they are not the only culprits - im not singling out a certain part of the world as dishonest people BUT it is a fact that they have a high risk status.

personally id either relist the p.c if it has been sold (i.e let ebay know why you are suspicioous and tell them your relisting) and/or change your postal options to your native country only (i.e uk postage ony! NOT worldwide!)

below are only three examples i found by a quick goole search of "ebay nigeria scams". lots came up. i wouldnt even chance it, personally.

Exasmple one from ebay forum
    Example 2
    Example 3 ebay forum

it's like this: would you lend your money to someone you dont know, where this person PROMISES you to give you it back in a week plus 1000% percent intrest, but you dont have a contact number/address he lives thousands of miles a way, says he'll contact YOOU next week and you dont even know his real name? i thought not.

even so hope you sell it on ebay with a credited buyer. also if you can post some of the emials your getting from him/her and ones you have sent. this could always be turned around and the scam could be on him!! ;)

does anyone remember that post about the guy who sent that scammer the all time multi tasking high spec state of the art P-P-P POWERBOOK?!! LOL. read the link in detail takes a while but so funny its worth the read!

http://www.p-p-p-powerbook.com/

Attached Files:

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's just part of the scam, anyway, isn't it? It's not actually like these people are really from Nigeria. If they were, I'd gladly share kava with them. :)

8. Creative macrumors newbie

Ditto. :)

9. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

Most african countries are okay, but Nigeria is known for scamming in many different kind of ways. Maybe u could ask a few more questions and find out if he is legit, could easily be......it isn't really fare to judge someone on their nationality,just be careful

Peace

DjVoTeZ

10. mariahlullaby thread starter macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

There are two separately.

One man from Nigeria (his email sounds very suspicious) and another who, supposedly, wants to send it as a birthday gift to a daughter in Africa (did not say where, but sounds suspicious because of the story). I will be wary - and thanks so much!!

11. mpw Guest

Nigieria has a bad reputation for online financial fraud. A while ago I would said the Nigerian buyer would ask for you bank account details to wire the money to you and use these details to rip you off but not any more. Why not?

Well they’re cleaning up their act. I recently got an email personally from the Nigerian President who’s so fed up with his country’s poor reputation he’s set up a high level team reporting directly to him to sort out the scammers operating from his country. I was shocked to hear that following a raid on one of the scammers they had reason to believe my own details had been used in one of these frauds. To be on the safe side he asked me to forward all my personal and bank details to him, the President, so he could check they have not been used.

I applaud this initiative and hope they can regain they’re reputation.

If you feel this buyer has tried to scam you you might want to contact the President via the head of his committee Hon. Senator KAYODE OWODUNI who’s email is senator_owo_kayo@yahoo.co.uk. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

PLEASE NOTE THE SMILEY

12. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

Usually if they give some sort of long-winded story on why they want to buy it, coupled with the Nigeria thing... It's most likely a scam. I'd just wait for a more local buyer.

MP

13. mariahlullaby thread starter macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

Question:

If I talk to eBay and PayPal myself and see what they say, and put delivery confirmation/$2000 insurance on the computer, do you think I can still lose the computer? That way, if they say they have not received the system and I have confirmation, then they have no leg to stand on. If PayPal refunds their money, I have proof they received it. If its proved they did not receive it , I get my money back through the insurance.
    Is this still way too naive of me?? I am at the Apple Store typing this, and I want my iMac so bad!! And my new iPod tomorrow!!
    THANKS SO MUCH :) :)

14. mariahlullaby thread starter macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

Just talked to PayPal.

I am asking this 'buyer' to have it shipped to a US address. PayPal said that if I have delivery/signature confirmation and he tries to file a claim, they will not refund his money if I have the confirmation. I will see what he says.

15. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

That was pretty funny! :D Something to brighten my day as a member of the Nigerian high court in exile... if you want to make a donation to help me, please, go to....:p

16. Champale macrumors member

Why?

Why even bother with them?

It's your hard earned money. When in doubt, don't.

The internet is rife with people trying to rip you off. There will be plenty of other buyers out there who don't give off bad vibes.

Trust me, it's not worth it.

I'd be happy to give you more reasons. But first, please send me some reassurances of your goodwill. A bank account and your social security number should do nicely!

:) :) :)

17. mpw Guest

It one of the more original ones I've had. I get at least a couple a week and most are from bank officials who don't want to see the $20million+ deposits of their customer who died in a plane crash 5years ago leaving no living relatives handed to their corrupt government etc. I would guarantee that in about 5years these plane crashes will become people who died in the Asian tsunami leaving no relatives etc. I just can't believe anyone still falls for these scams but some people do!

18. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Why is it about every week we get a thread like this? If you think it's dodgy don't go through with it. Simple as that.

19. chan0429 macrumors newbie

Darn those threads. People trying to discuss stuff... don't you wish they'd stop so you could stop reading them?

Aye it's a scam [IMHO] don't do it! But I do hope you manage to sell your PC to a legit buyer.

20. pianojoe macrumors 6502

pianojoe

Some comments

Only recently someone won the bid for my digital camera on Ebay. The buyer wanted to use a fake escrow service. This service, fake web site and all, sent me a confirmation email that they had recieved payment, and I could safely ship the camera. Fortunately, I'm not that stupid. The buyer made an "offer you can't refuse". He said he wanted the camera quick and offered to pay $80 above my "click & buy" price. That's a dead sign he's trying to rip you off. Obviously, enough people stop thinking when they smell a bargain.

My advice: Don't send it unless you have ca$h in your hand. PayPal will refund the buyer (even if you have proof of delivery) as long as the buyer claims that the merchandise wasn't up to the specs advertised.

A note on customs: There's no voodoo magic involved in international shipping, and you will not get any strange deseases. If you're not a business, paperwork will be minimal. (I do that all the time.) If there is duty or VAT to pay, that's the reciever's problem anyway. You can help him, though, by declaring the wholesale value of your shipment, not the retail value. This is in line with U.S. customs regualtions.

And, I agree, http://www.p-p-p-powerbook.com/ is required reading. "To understand the mechanics of ebay fraud."

21. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Look, if some dodgy geezer in Nigeria wants to buy something off you for more than it's really worth it's obviously a con. Why do people have to keep asking if it is? Surely using their common sense would be a quicker alternative?

22. mariahlullaby thread starter macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

Well it seemed unlikely

that you could be scammed as a SELLER, but it seems it's really easy. I'll just steer clear of it then and hope someone legit buys the computer. I changed the listing for $899 starting price.

THANK YOU AGAIN! I'm checking out that p-p-p-powerbook site now.

23. Sunrunner macrumors 6502a

Sunrunner

...thats why we should all just use cash. That way, nobody can get their money transfered back to them, lol.

24. mariahlullaby thread starter macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

Yeah, that would be nice.

Ah well, hope someone bids. The last 2 things I put on eBay didn't sell. And until I get my iMac, I think I might get an iPod mini to tide me over.

I appreciate all the advice though :) :).

25. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Completely Off-Topic, but am I the only one who immediately thought of Laurence Olivier and dentist's drills when seeing the title of this thread?

mebbe I'm just showing my age.

And yeah, to drag it back on-topic. It's a scam =]