is this seller legit??, first time buyer!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by hobalpha, Mar 2, 2004.

1. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Looks legit to me. Check Feedback. If they have sold several different items, with buyers with very positive feedback they're usually on the up-and-up.

TEG

2. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

it's also important to check WHAT the seller has sold. If his/her history is all from $1.00 toothpick organizers - Powerbooks may be stretching the truth.

He has sold a ton of computer stuff in the last few months. I'd believe him and I am an Ebay Powerseller.

3. kanker macrumors 6502

All I saw were compact flash/smart media/USB key storage, and a couple of cheap Athlon things. Now he has Powerbooks? Not too sure personally. Can't say it's definitely a scam, but it doesn't look quite right to me.

4. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

eh... if you aren't 100% sure, i wouldn't chance it.

what if you buy it with a credit card? some cards offer consumer protection if you buy things online

5. hobalpha thread starter macrumors newbie

his website seems legit, i just wonder where he can get such a low price. I sent him an e-mail about so I'll see what he says.

Thanks

6. bgotori macrumors newbie

Hey hobalpha

One of the guys I Fly RC Helicopters with know him. He's OK...

I was BIDDING on one but decided to get a NEWER ONE (G5) when they come out. I got an iBook in mean time.

There Factory/Store Close-out buy from what I've heard. There the older ones with 1mb cache, 1gb Max Ram and have Apple Warrenty for one Year... Yea... Did alot of e-mailing and looking up before I BID...hahaha I'd get one if they were like $1000-$1200 but to me kind of Over Priced...

Good Luck on your BID!!!

Brad Gotori

7. hobalpha thread starter macrumors newbie

so there not the new generation of powerbooks?

hmmmmmm..

8. JamesDPS macrumors regular

Looks good, has a decent rating plus anything where you can pay directly with a credit card *should* be okay -- banks and creditors will reverse the charge at the drop of a dime, unless you do something like transfer credit through a third party through Western Union (but I think PayPal is fine -- it's all electronically traceable, you have to have a legit bank account to set up a PayPal account).

9. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

it is and older revision but that Powerbook came out just over a year ago and was $3G's brand new , so it is a good deal. if you can get it for less than say.. $1800

10. bgotori macrumors newbie

Hey hobalpha

Nope!!! Last of the Ti PB's... But from what I've heard the BEST PB so far... Very Tough!!! The 1mb cache is also nice but with a limit of 1gb Ram(only one slot), I passed after thinking it over... Go over to MacNN and lookup my posts on it.

Happy BIDDING!!!

Brad Gotori

11. Jimong5 macrumors 6502

One thing I know about ebay is if the seller would only take western union, run. Paypal is usually the best way to do it, and he offers it, and I believe Paypal is secure.

12. hobalpha thread starter macrumors newbie

little confused..

so they are the most recent powerbook releases with airport and ati 9600 radeon and firewire 800?

Thats what i thought, cause my dad has the 17 inch newest release, from last year. I thought this guy was selling the latest generation? or some other previous model.

13. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

No.. it does not have firewire 800 or the ati 9600.

if it is 1ghz, with a 133mhz bus and a 1mb L2 cache, then it is the Titanium (Not Aluminum)
    THIS is the computer that is for auction: http://www.apple-history.com/frames/body.php?page=gallery&model=pg4_1_867

The "latest" firewire800 / ati (Aluminum) that you are thinking of is this: http://www.apple-history.com/frames/body.php?page=gallery&model=pg4_15_800

14. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

this will be the last titanium before the upgrade to the 15" alluminum. i would still be skeptical. apple let the volume of the last titaniums get next to non existant before they upgraded. just the fact he hapened to get a new one in the box all of a sudden would steer me away. he accepts credit card though so nothing really to lose. if i were you i would contact him and ask for the serial number and get it checked at an apple store if they will do so.

iJon

15. hobalpha thread starter macrumors newbie

wow thanks a lot adamjay. I'll have to bookmark that site. great, that changes everything!!

16. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

I don't find it all that surprising. The Apple Store here on campus still has several of the 1GHz TiBooks new in stock. They currently have them priced at $1699. So, it all seems reasonably legit to me...

17. bgotori macrumors newbie

Hey hobalpha

Well... after I Post ""An OK Guy"" He pulled all his PowerBooks, even from the WebSite...

??????

Well if I have time to go to the Field, I'll ask the guy I Fly with what went on...

Man Now I Look Like a BIGGER A$$ than I'AM...(well I do have a big a$$)

SORRY!!!

Brad Gotori

18. hobalpha thread starter macrumors newbie

hey that's alright!! I think i'll wait till the next pbook upgrades in march/april. That is my best bet I think. Thanks A lot.