Is this temperature/fan speed ok?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KD7IWP, Oct 17, 2006.

1. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

My MBP is hot; that's fine with me. If it's within specs, I don't care. But are these fan speeds acceptable? They are idling still. They NEVER speed up and I never hear them. This is around the temperature my car engine operates at, not what a CPU should be doing if you ask me. Can others verify if theirs does this as well? I have had my logic board replaced in the last two months, so it is a new revision.[​IMG]

2. TaylorB macrumors regular

I don't think that is good at all. Thats around 176F. I suggest you turn your fans up to keep it cool. It shouldn't hurt to touch your MacBook Pro, unless you like it that way. I try to keep mine between 37C and 50C (100-122F.) This is just my suggestion, i'm not a pro or anything. I hope this helps. :)

3. KD7IWP thread starter macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

I completely agree with you. If it's too hot too touch, I know how to cool it down. What I am concerned about is that it seems like the computer is not taking care of itself. One day I had it up to 91C and wow, that's nuts. From what I hear from others, the fans turn on, but mine never seem to, and that's a problem. This temperature is normal, and I idle in the high 60's. It's not a one time thing.

4. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Well if you turn fanspeeds up to max, can you hear them? If not they are most likely broken... :(

5. Jarland macrumors regular

http://www.lobotomo.com/products/FanControl/index.html
    Trust me, it is much better. smcFanControl doesn't always do what it's supposed to do. I'm not going to explain, you can search my posts to find the full explanation. But trust me, FanControl is the one you want.

6. ruutiveijari macrumors regular

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

8. KD7IWP thread starter macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

Alright, I'm trying out Fan Control. Yes, my fans speed up just fine when I raise the speed in SMC Fan control. They just don't seem to work right on their own.

9. hanguolaohu macrumors regular

3rd Fan Control

I 3rd Lobotomo Fan Control over SMC fan control. With SMC you have to constantly monitor your temps, and then change fan speeds manually. I thought SMC was good, but I realized while encoding mpeg2's that my Macbook Pro hit 80 degrees celcius when I wasn't paying attention. With Fan Control, you set your lower and upper threshold and forget about frying your mac. Make life simpler, as a mac should be.

Alexander

10. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

84C is unlikely to hurt the computer, but it's best to try to keep it below 80. Over 90 is getting into the danger zone.

11. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

That is concerning. If your fans aren't running by themselves you should have apple take a look at it. If your not by a store it would probably be worth the drive to get it checked. If the fans aren't coming on by themselves, the thermal sensor might be fried. my 0.02 cents

Don

12. powz macrumors regular

At 84C your fans should be going full blast (6000 rpm), even without additional fan controlling software. Mine do that way before 84C. You should definitely have it looked at.

13. zdlyons macrumors member

I was wondering if its normal with the fan constantly running around 2100 rpm, for the temp to stay at about 47'C with, say, safari and word open. Also--are there one, or two fans on the current macbook pro?
    Thanks.

MBP 13" 2010
    2.66Ghz 4GB

14. vant macrumors 65816

1 Fan for the 13".

47C should be at idle which is 2000RPM.

15. zdlyons macrumors member

thanks.
    im idling at 2000 sometimes at 60C...just installed fancontrol...we'll see if that keeps it down.