Is this the future of character face generation for games?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Haoshiro, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/video-amazing-3d-morphable-face

Wow, now that is just impressive. I could see this being applied to a full-body solution, then say goodbye for the need of "cyber scans" of actors, etc.

I thought that demo was amazing, mix that in with V2.0 of Valve's facial animation system (still the very best I think I've ever seen in a game) and you have some killer characters... might also want to mix in the Euphoria character physics/AI system as well.

One day...

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

They should have used a picasso painting at the end of the demo to fool it ;) :D

But yeah very cool technology.

3. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Hah, the smile was gimpy but overall an immensely impressive video.

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Interesting - it would be even better if they could do some hair, but that is still something that realtime has issues with and making look realistic.

D

6. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

This is unbelievable technology with scary implications about editing what we seen in the media.

7. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I was thinking that as well, there will be a day video "proof" will mean nothing, we're already close to that... but things like this makes determining reality even more impossible. Somehow I think the guild of Paranoid Conspiracy Theorists will be getting a lot more members in coming years. :D