Is this the reason Apple charges for the 2.1 upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by new2macworld, Sep 11, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Sep 11, 2008
    I read this on the Washingtonpost tech writer's weekly chat. Does anyone know if this is true?

D.C.: Hi Rob, I'm sure you are going to get a ton of questions on the new Ipod lineup. I'm thinking about getting the new Touch, haven't decided 8 or 16GB. Am I wrong to be really steamed that Apple is charging Touch users to upgrade to the software so that we can download from the App Store? Am I the only one?

Rob Pegoraro: No, you're probably not the only one. Apple says that it has to charge for the upgrade because of SEC regulations--they have to account for material upgrades provided to old products, and if they don't derive a continuing revenue stream from them (as is the case with the iPhone) then they must charge something. IANAL (I am not a lawyer), so I can't say if that's the case or not. But I do know that some iPod software upgrades have included small but distinct new features but did not come with a charge.
  2. TEG
    macrumors 604

Jan 21, 2002
    Langley, Washington
    This quote is accurate, and you actually paying for 2.0, 2.1 is free.

3. macrumors 6502

Dec 19, 2007
  4. macrumors member

Sep 10, 2008
    I'm hearing now that even if you DIDN'T have 2.0...2.1 is free! Leap-frog a revision w/o paying a dime. Nice eh?