Is this the start of a new advertising campaign?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by montecristo, Sep 8, 2003.

1. montecristo macrumors member

So with the new iPod advertising, does anyone else think this might signal a new advertising campaign or look for Apple? If you combine this with the macrumor post (here) that Apple may be redesigning their site, one wonders whether there will be a slow departure from their pure white backgrounds and bring back (in small doses) the 5-color scheme (but with updated "brighter" colors).

Just a thought....we'll have to see where this goes. But I do like the 5 different billboard/banners they have on their site and in magazines for the new iPod. :)

2. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

i hope they don't, although they're hip and kinda cool, it's not something i'd like to see on an apple computer. they're just starting to get into the pure white and metallic theme. it's what makes them looks so diffetent.

3. montecristo thread starter macrumors member

I agree...white and metallic is much better. If they want to start tinkering with color, they better do it SPARINGLY! Maybe they are going to focus more on the black than on the colors... Maybe a black iPod?

4. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

5. alia macrumors 6502a

alia

I don't know about their web site, but my October issue of Macworld already has the new iPod ad in the inside front cover. It doesn't talk about the new ipods, just shows the new colorful silhouette people - don't know how I feel about them, actually.

Alia

6. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

A bit of color...

Yes, I do think this signals some new ads for Apple. We can't have the same kind of ads running over and over, Apple has to change things just a bit every now and then.

Personally, I'd like to see some color return to Apple's products. Aluminum is nice, but the whole "white" thing is getting a little old (just a little color).

7. iMax531 macrumors member

finally

mac's that are all white / silver gey are fine and cool and whatnot, but I think that color has been missing for a long time.

Back when it was new and different, so many people that I knew were buying macs or attracted to them simply because they could choose colors and personalize it like that, and that's a powerful feature for a consumer.

The hip/cool look is especially important for products like the iPod because it, mroe than any other apple product is not just an icon for Apple, but for pop culture in general. And if Apple can capitalize on that and cement themselves as the vendors of "cool," the more power and influence they will have in the marketplace, not to mention the subsequent gains in marketshare.

Personally, I would really like to see them sell new iBooks in that way: as the computer for kids who are different, with it, hip, cool, etc. Hev it availabe in white yes, but why not in those bright colors as well? I know for a fact that it would be moer attractive to a lot of people, to have a notebook like that as a fashion accessory, not just as a tool, especially for the high school/college market, where the ibook is mainly targeted. I hope, personally, that is a signal of the return of color to apple's consumer line.

-imax

8. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

I saw the new adverstisement thing on saturday in emeryville ca. New ipods Came up on monday hmm...

9. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

::thwack::

Total speculation but I'm guessing this was a reaction to the blatant rip-off of buymusic.com I doubt Apple is going to change their ads for their desktops or laptops but I think this was a ::thwack:: in the face of Buymusic.com

10. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Re: Is this the start of a new advertising campaign?

While the colors aren't exactly the same, they correspond to the Finder Label colors in Panther. I'm sure that's the reason why they chose those colors, and they will probably add more color here and there on the website (in my opinion).

11. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

When I first saw the site, I thought it meant that iPods were being offered in color now. I was all like NOOOOOOOOO@$#$%^&%^$!!!

And then my sister said, "WTF?" and mom said, "OMG!" and dad was all like, "BRB."

12. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

color ads - good
    color ipods - bad
    color pmacs - i will assassinate SJ

these ads arre getting people to look - they have achieved their goal. let them stay there. right now when everyone else is doing the color thing, apples white and silver only policy is helping them to once again, stand out.

13. Bluefusion macrumors 6502

Bluefusion

I have to say, I can't STAND the new ads (or the way the iPod page looks), as it's losing Apple's aura of mystery and elitism for the sake of appealing to hip-hop types, which I must say probably required a great deal of thought on their part... but overall I think (for the iPod, anyway) it was a good idea. As much as I hate the ads, it's good business for them, and that's always a good thing.

And I don't like rap either, but let's not go into that. To each his own!

14. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

i like the new ads, but i think they will only apply to the iPod, since that is Apple's real crossover product. By differentiating those ads from Mac ads, Apple reinforces to consumers that the iPod is an independent product that doesn't require a Mac.

15. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

I loved the colored iMacs back then (I even had a tangerine DV400), but I think that the current white design of the consumer line is more elegant and universally usable (hehe, matches every color you wear/paint your room... ;))

but they should also market the iBook as a cool and hip acessoir (with colorful vector ads like the iPod...)

vSpacken

16. montecristo thread starter macrumors member

good point. In these new iPod ads, they are also making more of a point to mention "for Windows".

17. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

I think that Apple shoudl stick with what they have for colors on their computers. I think they look great and selling multiple colors can be difficult. BUT, I think that different color iPods would be a great idea. I think most people would love it. I would. I plan on getting an iPod eventually regardless but colors would add a new dimension.

18. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

LOL. Reminds me of the old SNL skit :)