Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

montecristo

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2003
Gotham
So with the new iPod advertising, does anyone else think this might signal a new advertising campaign or look for Apple? If you combine this with the macrumor post (here) that Apple may be redesigning their site, one wonders whether there will be a slow departure from their pure white backgrounds and bring back (in small doses) the 5-color scheme (but with updated "brighter" colors).

Just a thought....we'll have to see where this goes. But I do like the 5 different billboard/banners they have on their site and in magazines for the new iPod. :)

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
i hope they don't, although they're hip and kinda cool, it's not something i'd like to see on an apple computer. they're just starting to get into the pure white and metallic theme. it's what makes them looks so diffetent.

montecristo

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2003
Gotham
i hope they don't, although they're hip and kinda cool, it's not something i'd like to see on an apple computer. they're just starting to get into the pure white and metallic theme. it's what makes them looks so diffetent.

I agree...white and metallic is much better. If they want to start tinkering with color, they better do it SPARINGLY! Maybe they are going to focus more on the black than on the colors... Maybe a black iPod?

alia

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2003
Tampa, FL (Orlando, 2003 - 2023)
I don't know about their web site, but my October issue of Macworld already has the new iPod ad in the inside front cover. It doesn't talk about the new ipods, just shows the new colorful silhouette people - don't know how I feel about them, actually.

Alia

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
A bit of color...

Yes, I do think this signals some new ads for Apple. We can't have the same kind of ads running over and over, Apple has to change things just a bit every now and then.

Personally, I'd like to see some color return to Apple's products. Aluminum is nice, but the whole "white" thing is getting a little old (just a little color).

iMax531

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2003
SF Bay Area/JHU
finally

mac's that are all white / silver gey are fine and cool and whatnot, but I think that color has been missing for a long time.

Back when it was new and different, so many people that I knew were buying macs or attracted to them simply because they could choose colors and personalize it like that, and that's a powerful feature for a consumer.

The hip/cool look is especially important for products like the iPod because it, mroe than any other apple product is not just an icon for Apple, but for pop culture in general. And if Apple can capitalize on that and cement themselves as the vendors of "cool," the more power and influence they will have in the marketplace, not to mention the subsequent gains in marketshare.

Personally, I would really like to see them sell new iBooks in that way: as the computer for kids who are different, with it, hip, cool, etc. Hev it availabe in white yes, but why not in those bright colors as well? I know for a fact that it would be moer attractive to a lot of people, to have a notebook like that as a fashion accessory, not just as a tool, especially for the high school/college market, where the ibook is mainly targeted. I hope, personally, that is a signal of the return of color to apple's consumer line.

-imax

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
::thwack::

Total speculation but I'm guessing this was a reaction to the blatant rip-off of buymusic.com I doubt Apple is going to change their ads for their desktops or laptops but I think this was a ::thwack:: in the face of Buymusic.com

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
Re: Is this the start of a new advertising campaign?

Originally posted by montecristo
So with the new iPod advertising, does anyone else think this might signal a new advertising campaign or look for Apple? If you combine this with the macrumor post (here) that Apple may be redesigning their site, one wonders whether there will be a slow departure from their pure white backgrounds and bring back (in small doses) the 5-color scheme (but with updated "brighter" colors).

Just a thought....we'll have to see where this goes. But I do like the 5 different billboard/banners they have on their site and in magazines for the new iPod. :)

While the colors aren't exactly the same, they correspond to the Finder Label colors in Panther. I'm sure that's the reason why they chose those colors, and they will probably add more color here and there on the website (in my opinion).

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
When I first saw the site, I thought it meant that iPods were being offered in color now. I was all like NOOOOOOOOO@$#$%^&%^$!!!

And then my sister said, "WTF?" and mom said, "OMG!" and dad was all like, "BRB."

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
color ads - good
color ipods - bad
color pmacs - i will assassinate SJ

these ads arre getting people to look - they have achieved their goal. let them stay there. right now when everyone else is doing the color thing, apples white and silver only policy is helping them to once again, stand out.

Bluefusion

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2003
New York, NY
I have to say, I can't STAND the new ads (or the way the iPod page looks), as it's losing Apple's aura of mystery and elitism for the sake of appealing to hip-hop types, which I must say probably required a great deal of thought on their part... but overall I think (for the iPod, anyway) it was a good idea. As much as I hate the ads, it's good business for them, and that's always a good thing.

And I don't like rap either, but let's not go into that. To each his own!

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
i like the new ads, but i think they will only apply to the iPod, since that is Apple's real crossover product. By differentiating those ads from Mac ads, Apple reinforces to consumers that the iPod is an independent product that doesn't require a Mac.

vollspacken

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2002
Boogie-Down Berlintown
I loved the colored iMacs back then (I even had a tangerine DV400), but I think that the current white design of the consumer line is more elegant and universally usable (hehe, matches every color you wear/paint your room... ;))

but they should also market the iBook as a cool and hip acessoir (with colorful vector ads like the iPod...)

vSpacken

montecristo

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2003
Gotham
Originally posted by Ambrose Chapel
i like the new ads, but i think they will only apply to the iPod, since that is Apple's real crossover product. By differentiating those ads from Mac ads, Apple reinforces to consumers that the iPod is an independent product that doesn't require a Mac.

good point. In these new iPod ads, they are also making more of a point to mention "for Windows".

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
I think that Apple shoudl stick with what they have for colors on their computers. I think they look great and selling multiple colors can be difficult. BUT, I think that different color iPods would be a great idea. I think most people would love it. I would. I plan on getting an iPod eventually regardless but colors would add a new dimension.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe
When I first saw the site, I thought it meant that iPods were being offered in color now. I was all like NOOOOOOOOO@$#$%^&%^$!!!

And then my sister said, "WTF?" and mom said, "OMG!" and dad was all like, "BRB."

LOL. Reminds me of the old SNL skit :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.