Is this the worst web site?

Discussion in 'Community' started by numediaman, Jun 17, 2005.

1. numediaman macrumors 6502a

Between the design of the site, and the total lack of judgement when it comes to news, can this be the absolutely worst web site out there?

Then again, what other "popular" sites do you consider the worst?

Attached Files:

2. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

that's funny! yeah that site sucks, i think most sites for large commercial entities just blow. i think the designers have to "wow" the suits or the marketing dept with their deft knowledge of web code. just look at my personal favorite worst site
    ESPN.com

nasty!

3. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

oh yeah...if you click on it now the headline is "Not Looking Good"

totally!

4. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

The redesign of Apple Downloads is horrid. They used to have a simple list of files, and you could scroll down to where you were up to in the list last time you looked. Now they have all these extranious concepts that no one cares about, such as "Featured downloads" and "Hot picks" and "Hot Tiger" and "Recently featured". LOL, what retards.

Google groups has also been ruined. It used to be a pleasure to use, and now it makes me just want to throw something.

5. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Toshiba UK

Not necessarily the worst but just truly dreadful in my opinion. Really busy looking and just a bit cack really.

6. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

could you explain "cack" please? i tried reading that last sentence with my best british accent and just saying it cracked me up. what does it mean? i tried wikipedia but no joy.

7. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

That's where UrbanDictionary comes in, look at definition 2,5 etc ;) :p

8. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Why is it that any computer site other than Apple I am unable to navigate without being confused?

9. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

Ahhh, right "popular" sites, thanks Mr. Anderson.

I'd say godaddy.com

Its cluttered and just looking at it makes me feel a little anxious ;)

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

News sites are always a bit much in terms of too much content at once - what I'd like to see is one without advertising - I think that's the thing that really messes those sites up.

D

11. Leeloo the 5th macrumors member

Leeloo the 5th

http://www.mtv.com/
    It's been a while, but when I once browsed this site, clicking on a link that said the same, starting from two different pages, brought me to different pages. Not consistent at all.
    Well here is one: www.vrtnieuws.net, although I doubt it will help you much since it's in Dutch :p, but just click on the "Flandersnews" link on the left side, it will bring you to an English version. (It's the news site of the Belgian, Dutch-speaking public tv.)

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I think www.tvtome.com has taken a turn for the worst, thank you CNet. You didn't screw up Download.com (... that bad). Judging by what I've seen of the (mostly former now) regulars over there, I'm not alone. I'm still not thrilled with the "new" www.maccentral.com (now MacWorld News) either, but it's not the end of the world, just a little annoying. And believe me, I've definitely seen worse, but it sucks when a web page you love and visit all the time has to make such a drastic change. Especially when they don't listen to the feedback of their users.

I liked when this site made some changes. Nice and subtle, change for the better, and listening to feedback from it's users. That's the way they all should do it. Then again, I used to have to work on this site. It looks a lot better now, you should have seen what it looked like before . Sorry kids, just following orders. :eek:

13. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

14. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Whats wrong with ESPN.com? And to whoever said that, whats wrong with GOOGLE!?

---

Microsoft.com is pretty bad but gets the job done.
    GreenDay.com is horrible, like all flash-based sites.

15. Leeloo the 5th macrumors member

Leeloo the 5th

Hey! http://www.jkrowling.com/ is flash and really neat! LOTS of hidden stuff among the rest :cool:

16. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

You need good old Auntie :)

17. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Thank you for saving me from a long winded and rambling explanation there munkle ;)

I love your 'tar by the way.

18. snowdog macrumors member

http://icq.com/
    These guys used to be even worse a couple of years ago.
    There's just to much of....nothing...

19. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I'm going to say, any site that uses flash to deliver it's main content sucks...

I think CNN has more of an organized look that most other news sites, and it's easy for me to navigate through their content.

20. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Would have been interesting though! :p

Cheers matey, it's of a little critter from the London Zoo :)

21. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Primates rock! I've adopted an orangatan called Gordon from
    Monkey World in Dorset. He's so cute :)

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

23. AppleAce macrumors regular

There's lots of things wrong with espn.com. I used to read articles and stuff there all the time, but now my major gripe with ESPN.com is that it completely blows because 90% of the good articles are effing ESPN insider pay $20 a month to read a website which used to be free.
    And I believe broken_keyboard said Google Groups sucked, not Google in general.
    And I agree that 99.99% of flash based sites blow, with the 0.01% being homestarrunner.com I especially hate flash sites that don't give you choice to navigate through a normal html page or the option to skip their retarded 5 minute long intro that takes an hour to load on dialup.

24. Frisco macrumors 68020

dell.com is very hard to find what you are looking for. Too many categories makes it very confusing.

Not that I ever tried to buy anything there :eek:

25. panphage macrumors 6502

I was at a site recently that I think was done in flash. The navigation was a bunch of floating, unlabeled bubbles. When you moved your mouse, the bubbles moved away from your cursor. So you've got unlabeled mystery navigation that avoids the mouse. Sweet! Wish I could remember what site it was.