Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
mac000 said:
just a quick question - what i found on ebay. the seller has a perfect feedback score but i couldn't help to think something's gottta be going on here?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8282357008&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

a buy it now price of $1000 USD? :confused: :confused: :eek:

Nothing particularly stands out about the auction except the price and the fact that the three previous auctions that you can check out are nothing like a computer (a game, some shoes, and a cordless phone [though that is midly related]). They even take paypal (which is unusual for a straight-up scam).

Out of an abundance of caution I would steer clear. Could be a scam. Could be stolen. Could just be one really dumb seller. As tempting as it is, I would pass. If you insist on not passing, contact the seller and see if they will take it out of the box and take pictures (of things that you specify so it's harder to fake), give you a serial number (so you can check to see if it's stolen), and see if they will accept payment through some place like escrow.com

Really, though, I would pass.

ozone

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Absolutely this is a SCAM. Do not buy - you will regret it. The seller is asking you to contact him/her prior to actually bidding/buying. The email does not match the seller ID email.

If it sounds too good to be true, it is.

Sorry.

khisayruou

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2004
baby duck monge said:
...give you a serial number (so you can check to see if it's stolen)...

There is a photo of the serial number. How do you go about checking its authenticity?

My two cents...move along, there is nothing to see here.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Hijacked account. Reported.

ANY time you see a seller post an email address in the body of an auction -- esp a free webmail address (hotmail, yahoo, aol) and they say "Contact me here for details / before bidding/ the eBay Contact Member isn't working " then it is a hijacked account.

Edit: LOL -- look at the other items this fool has listed. A 30" Cinema for $12... Fifty iPod 60 Gb All FOR $12 !!!!
Alpine car stereos, gas barbeques, appliances, camcorders. Feck'em

eBay HAS to do a better job of policing their auctions...

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
ozone said:
Absolutely this is a SCAM. Do not buy - you will regret it. The seller is asking you to contact him/her prior to actually bidding/buying. The email does not match the seller ID email.

If it sounds too good to be true, it is.

Sorry.

I agree. Even the listing style is completely different from previous auctions

Account probably hijacked...

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
Shows what I get for checking it out while eating lunch. Ha! I didn't get any pics except one of the box to load, though, so I don't know why I couldn't see the one with the serial number on it :confused:

mac000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
well goes to show, must have been hijacked or something to that effect, the posting has been deleted.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
mac000 said:
well goes to show, must have been hijacked or something to that effect, the posting has been deleted.
The real eBay account owner might have got a bit concerned when I emailed him that I was really interested in the 50 iPods and the Panasonic 50" plasma TV but wondered why I had to email a different address at gmail.com before bidding? :p :D

But seriously -- don't even stop to wonder if steeply discounted new Apple hardware is a scam. It ALWAYS is.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
mac000 said:

It is a good thing that you were cautious mac000 and did not send the scammer any of your hard-earned money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.