Is this true about Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ghall, Apr 3, 2007.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Someone told me that Leopard won't be coming out until September. :eek: I haven't heard anything about this. Wouldn't Apple have said something?

Here's to hoping this guy had no idea what he was talking about. :D

2. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

There was a news story on this a week or so ago. I think the in general most people don't believe it.

3. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

That guy had no idea what he was talking about.

All signs point to a June release date. WWDC runs from June 11-15, that's where it will be announced in my not so humble opinion... along with 8-core Mac Pros, another iPhone demo/official release, and hopefully some other new Macs.

(and, uh... updated video iPods finally?)

4. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

5. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

June is my guess. I figure Steve will give us another preview at WWDC and announce a release date.

6. MacVault macrumors 65816

Steve said Leopard will be released in "spring 2007". And now it sounds like June!? WTF!? While up to June 20th might technically be spring, to say "Spring" and mean June is totally misleading.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

7. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

He said Spring, and if it is mid-June, it is Spring, right? What is misleading about that?

8. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Actually, technically it's spring, not summer. ;)

9. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

"You would not regard the first three weeks of June as spring, yet historically summer does not start until 21 June," says a spokesman for the Met Office. "Equally, the bulk of people now regard 1 March as the first day of spring."

- BBC.co.uk

10. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Apple come out and say that they were in fact still on schedule with Leopard?

11. MacVault macrumors 65816

I'm from Southern Oregon - not that far from Steve Jobs. I've always thought of summer as being late May and beyond because 1) that is when it gets as hot as the solar plasma in southern Oregon, and that is when summer vacation always started in school. Steve should know this. He was once a peace lovin hipping at a commune in Oregon.

12. Max Payne macrumors 6502a

13. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

But isn't Apple a world-wide company rather than one that's only based in Oregon? So wouldn't it make better sense to use a calender that has season dates that average out so the whole world can make sense of it?

Can't imagine him saying "it'll be out in Spring time, that's Summer for you fellows in Oregon"

14. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

March 1st??? This is absolutely the stupidest thing I have ever heard! The first day of spring always has been -- and always will be -- the 20th or 21st of March. Period. Anybody who thinks otherwise has been staring at the sun for too long.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernal_equinox

If Apple says Leopard will be out "in the spring" then they've got until 18:05:59 on June 21st to make good on their word.

15. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Read what I said again, and that was taken from the BBC website rather than my own words. The bulk of people generally think of it as the 1st March.

But I see spring whenever the clocks change from GMT to BST (UK time).

16. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

That's 18:05:59 UTC, so 10:05:59 Cupertino time...now all we have to hope is that they mean 2007 on the Gregorian calendar and not on the Islamic calendar, which is 580 years from now.

17. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

580 Years? That'll be just about right for the next release of Windows!

18. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

In that case I think the bulk of people generally are nuts.

19. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

People are nuts because they don't know the exact date of Spring?

If you say so.

Anyway, back on topic or we gonna bitch about when Spring is? :p

20. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I think as long as people keep coming up with their own personal definitions of spring, there's gonna be bitching... :)

21. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

It just snowed here, so as far as I'm concerned, Spring hasn't even started. Which means Apple has at least until July. ;)

--Eric

22. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

The bulk of people use Windows, too. Doesn't say anything for their intelligence or taste... :p

So there's no doubt (this is not a democratic thing here, it just friggin' is), the following reminder is provided. Our friends from Oz can stand on their heads to read this and make it come out correctly. ;) Oh, and it doesn't matter where you're from (even Oregon - where Reed's school cheer is, "Duuude!"), this is the way it works. Don't blame America - we didn't decide on it - blame the British and the RAS (pommy bastards!). Or the Greeks. Probably the Romans (they were the ones with red stripes on their robes and Oxford accents). Anyway, it was somebody from Europe or the Mediterranean that figured this out, after watching the Pagans for a few hundred years.

Anyway...

Spring Equinox (Equinox: equal nights) (March 21st, first day of Spring), refers to the "turning of the season," where the night is equal to the day, and days get progressively longer, warmer, and things blossom & bloom! (Try saying it like Doug Henning, it's funnier that way). It's also the reason for the rabbit & egg thing this month.

Summer Soltice (Soltice: Sun stops) (June 21st, first day of summer), is the point where the sun stops its traverse nortward, and begins moving progressively south again. The longest "day" of the year. My air conditioning's already been on for two months, and my pool has been swimmable for about seven weeks.

I could go on a diatribe here over Daylight Saving - being from Arizona & all, but I'll save that for another time...

Autumnal Equinox (September 21st, first day of Autumn), the days & nights are again equal, and it's time to harvest (Thanksgiving, anyone?) and prepare for the long cold night. And wonder if this post will ever end...

Winter Solstice (December 21st, first day of Winter), the shortest "day" of the year, time to sit around the fire, drag in a tree because even a fir tree smells better than we do after six weeks cooped up in this hut, and I'll give you a gift, 'cuz if I don't I'm going to strangle you!!!

So, there's why Steve will ride down from Cupertino, dropping Leopard on all the good little boys and girls before June 21st, because that's the friggin' end of Spring!

Geez...

23. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Ok, enough with the "when spring starts" argument. Steve promised us Spring, and I can't imagine the release of 10.5 without a keynote. Hmm... what big event is coming up where it would make sense for Leopard to be released... WWDC.

24. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Why? It has never been released with a keynote before, at least not the last 3 or 4. Steve already did a Leopard keynote this past August. He did the Tiger keynote at the June '04 WWDC, but it was released, after being announced several weeks earlier, in late April '05.

25. k2k koos macrumors 6502a

k2k koos

All I am going to add is this: It will be released this spring, between March 21st, and June 21st 2007 AD, The keynote may dicuss Leopard for quite some time, but I believe they may actually start talking a little about what is coming up AFTER Leopard, and give a better insight in the secret features of Leopard (then not secret anymore), so that developers can make use of them before the year is out...