Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

persianpunisher

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2005
Someone told me that the new 14" iBook was JUST as fast as the new 12" PB.
And especially from the PB setup I want to get (12" 768MB ram, 80gb HD, Superdrive) I can get a 14" 1GB 100GB HD iBook for like $50 less. Is the iBook more worth it then? I plan on using this computer for a good number of years, I wouldnt want to play many games, just World of Warcraft, and I would use it mainly for school (internet, mail, research, occasional video editiing and photoshop). Which would suit me better? Thanks

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
The iBooks 32MBVRAM isn't going to play nice with WoW I don't think.

persianpunisher

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2005
Thats what I was thinking, but I dont really need it to run more than 800X600, nor do I need the HIGHEST settings, would it still run decent?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
If you have the money, then the PowerBook would be better for your game and Photoshop. Will just be faster. The 1 GB RAM will also produce better performance.

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
persianpunisher said:
The Xbench scores are pretty close.
Xbench isn't very accurate for testing real performance.

I know, I know, the line in my sig. What can I say? It's just something for me to brag about. :D ;)

masterapple04

macrumors regular
May 26, 2004
Massachusetts, USA
I know I'll get flamed for this, but...

Performance aside, the PowerBook is almost certainly the better buy.
1) It will retain its value for a longer time.
2) Have you seen both 'books in person? The iBook is significantly (to me) thicker and it feels kinda cheap and plastic-y.
3) I have a Rev. A 12" PowerBook, and I love it. I could never go to an iBook.

Bringing performance back into it, I drool over the new PowerBooks, and how much better they are than mine. I'm not jealous of the iBooks in the same way. The clock, FSB, and almost everything else are in some way superior to the iBooks. It is, however, your money and your choice. :cool:

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
persianpunisher said:
Someone told me that the new 14" iBook was JUST as fast as the new 12" PB.
And especially from the PB setup I want to get (12" 768MB ram, 80gb HD, Superdrive) I can get a 14" 1GB 100GB HD iBook for like $50 less. Is the iBook more worth it then? I plan on using this computer for a good number of years, I wouldnt want to play many games, just World of Warcraft, and I would use it mainly for school (internet, mail, research, occasional video editiing and photoshop). Which would suit me better? Thanks

whoever told you that, don't ever take computer advice from them again.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
persianpunisher said:
hmmm, but for non-strenuous programs, the PB book's edge wont be as noticable..., would it?
Well, as long as you out it that way:
If performance isn't important, then the difference in performance won't be important.

Seriously, the performance differences will be marginal for standard programs that don't tax the CPU. 1.42 GHz vs 1.5 GHz, 142 MHz system bus vs 166 MHz. The biggest visible difference is the screen. The 14" has 1024x768 resolution over a 14" size, where the 12" has the same resolution over a 12" size, so everything on the 14" will be larger. This makes a difference to those of us who are denying that we need bifocals. It also makes the 14" larger and a bit more bulky to carry. The 14" has a longer life battery - 61 W-H up to 6 hours, and better Airport reception.

The 12" PB OTOH has a great deal more flexibility to plug into external monitors and FW800 drives.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Rendering is still faster on the PB. Both iMove and iDVD do some rendering. Remember you can always get more screen real-estate by plugging the PB into an external monitor. I have an older 12" PB and use FCP and audio editing programs on it. It works fine, but nothing compares to 20+ inches of real-estate and a new G5, as a friend of mine has.

A number of media editors I know live by the motto, "buy the best hardware you can afford and then buy new when you absolutely have too." In either case, max out the ram and get at least one external drive if you are even casually interested in doing some video editing. You don't have to dedicate the external drive to just to holding clips, don't forget that it can be a good place to store a working backup of your hd. I am also a big proponent of budgeting for AppleCare, at least one spare battery, and good case of lap top sleeve.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.