Is this TV a good buy for the budget? ($600)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by seenew, Dec 16, 2006.

1. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

2. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Polaroid makes TVs??

Like so many LCD HDTVs these days it has a resolution of 1366x768, so it can't do 1080i/p. Just FYI. No idea what the picture quality is like on that particular model, but chances are it'll be way better than the old SDTV.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I agree. Just be careful and research before you buy.

4. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

I personally don't see the point in buying a HDTV if it isn't 1080p. The Circuit City link didn't open, so I'm going by the previous comments in assuming that particular model doesn't (support 1080p).

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Looks like a decent TV, I would definitely check it out in person before buying it though. :)

But as apfhex has said, it should be better than the one that you are using now. :)

6. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

Uh ... you do realize that NO ONE broadcasts in 1080p and probably won't for another five years. The only reason to have 1080p is for BluRay or HD-DVD and the movie choices in those formats are so poor right now (and the format war so annoying) that it's a bad investment.

So I say buy a 1080i right now and replace it in five years when 1080p is significantly cheaper and the format wars are over.

7. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Chicagdan,

The fact that no one broadcasts 1080p (and probably won't for a long long time) doesn't mean that 1080p displays (for the purpose of this reply, 1080p display means a set that can accept a 1080p signal as well as displaying 1920x1080p) aren't useful for broadcast TV. Here's my take. With a 1080p TV, you will see every pixel of a 1080i broadcast, assuming that the TV properly de-interlaces the signal. If you had a 720p set, it would take the 1080i signal and dump about a million pixels before displaying. Of course, if one doesn't notice it, does it really matter?

Also, 1080p displays are useful for devices other than Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. The PS3 and X-Box 360 can pump out a 1080p signal. Also, Macs and PCs are great 1080p sources.

ft

8. mccldwll macrumors 65816

Won't find a 1080p this year for anywhere near that price [In 40" size, Westinghouse probably cheapest at around $1500, and Sharp has a 37" at around same--my prices may be off but idea the same. Should be 30-40% less by next xmas]. As mentioned, main reason for 1080p is to hook up to computer. Take a look at Nov. and Dec. Consumer Reports (among other reviews). Not sure about Polaroid. Olevias are inexpensive, but some reviews haven't been great. Vizeo at similar price seem to have better reviews. Might want to consider a size that will work for a year, then sold or moved to another room when 1080p prices drop.

9. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

You guys are all buying into the crap that the manufacturers are dishing out. Every hi-fi magazine I've read, every podcast with A/V experts say that with 32" and lower TVs, don't waste your money on 1080p. At that size, you can't hardly tell the difference between 720 and 1080.

I don't know much about Poloroid TVs, but the specs on that one look decent. If you're looking for a budget LCD, you might want to check out Olevia (I think). I know a lot of people who are happy with those. Westinghouse too.

10. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

You can get a nice Sony 32" flat screen for that price that will give you a great picture and a quality set. I don't know much about HDTV, but these other guys do. I just bought a 27" Sony without even considering an HDTV.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

By flat screen, do you mean DLP? Or is there really a Sony LCD of that size available for that kind of price?

I bought a similar (but different brand, different sale) LCD TV for the same price a few weeks ago. I've been very happy with it. If you've been enjoying a non-specific CRT TV (i.e. you didn't pore over choices and heartbreak before buying that one), this is going to seem like a major upgrade.

The only thing I noticed about it is that it does not have VGA. Figure out first if that's going to be a nuisance. Looked like the only major difference between yours and mine, besides brand, of course.

Good luck!

12. Danger! Will macrumors regular

Danger! Will

I recently bought this TV on black friday. It is made by Petters group as Poloroid and mine which is Element Electronics. I really like the picture quality. The TV supports both 720p and 1080i. It has plenty of inputs but only one DVI input. I didn't chose a 1080p set for a few reasons, the cost is much more, BLUE RAY hasnt really won over HD DVD and IMHO probably won't because of price. I think BLUE RAY is the BETA of tape. Better quality, more expensive, no one uses it except high end users which is what i think of 1080p.
    My only concern with the set is the built in speakers, they sound different but have different sound options and the tv has various audio outputs.
    Buy the TV, you'll like it.

13. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

It's not crap at all. Yeah, maybe for broadcast TV sources, you won't be able to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p, but tell me that you can't see the difference between a 1920x1080 desktop vs. a 1366x768 desktop on a 32" LCD at about 6 feet.

And don't worry about 32" 1080p TVs, they don't really exist yet. At least not that many OEM's are pushing them.

ft

14. seenew thread starter macrumors 68000

seenew

this is what he ended up getting, just FYI:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5058444

ended up being something like $569 including shipping. The same company that makes Symphonic makes Sylvania as well. Should arrive this Thursday, in time for our Christmas party Friday. :D Wii time.

(yes I know the Wii only does 480p :p )

15. jiggie2g macrumors 6502

jiggie2g

Should have went Westinghouse or Viewsonic if u wanted a cheap TV that was of decent quality.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...CategoryId=pcmcat95100050022&id=1134703181778

What's cool about the Westy is that the Video Processor is made by ATI.

http://www.westinghousedigital.com/details.aspx?itemnum=52