Is this what Apple and Sony are up too ???

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by liketom, Mar 31, 2005.

1. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

intresting read

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4396481.stm

Sony wants an 'iTunes for movies'

The movie industry is keen to take control from technology firms
    Sony is to make its top 500 films available digitally in the next year.
    Michael Arrieta, senior vice president of Sony Pictures, said at a US Digital Hollywood conference that it wanted to create an "iTunes" for films.

Films will be put onto flash memory for mobiles over the next year, said Mr Arrieta, and it will develop its digital download services for films.

Movie studios are keen to stop illegal file-sharing on peer-to-peer nets and cash in on digital the download market.

Movie piracy cost the industry £3.7bn ($7bn) in 2003, according to analysts.

The movie industry body, the MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America) has started a campaign of legal action against operators of BitTorrent, eDonkey and DirectConnect peer-to-peer networks.

Cashing in

"We want to set business models, pricing models, distribution models like (Apple chief Steve) Jobs did for music, but for the film industry," Mr Arrieta told Cnet news.

Sony and plans by other movie studio, according to Cnet news, are set to wrestle power, and financial gain, from any single technology giant - like Apple - which has had success with iTunes for music downloads.

The PSP was launched in the US on 24 March
    There are legal film sites now, such as Movielink, which provides access to a limited catalogue of legal films.

It is a partnership between Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios, Paramount Pictures, Sony Pictures Entertainment, Universal Studios and Warner Bros.

There remain big issues to giving people more access to films and other digital content anywhere, anytime.

Issues over protecting and controlling the distribution of content once it has been legally downloaded and moved to a portable device, for instance, still concern the movie industry.

But with the growing popularity of powerful portable entertainment devices, such as Sony's PlayStation Portable (PSP), which can play movies and other multimedia content, it is becoming a pressing concern for the industry.

The PSP went on sale in the US on 24 March and the first million came with Spider-Man 2.

But films for the device are available in Sony's own format, called UMD, which are physical discs.

Lions Gate Entertainment and Disney have announced forthcoming film titles that will be made available on the format.

The Digital Hollywood conference in the US runs from 29 March to 1 April.

2. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

Wow that would be great...i personally would be in the market to buy movies online, and with apple releasing h.264 it may very well be possible.
    Cool Link

3. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

This doesn't look too good for Apple playing a big part in this at least not gaining much revenue from the involvement. Let's just hope Apple can be involved in some way anyhow, so that this doesn't become a Windows only offer.

4. liketom thread starter macrumors 601

liketom

i would think steve would not have pulled the sony chap out on stage at macworld unless he had a deal in the bag with sony ?

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I dunno, to me Sony and Apple getting together is about as good an idea as the Hitler-Stalin non-agression pact, and as likely to succeed.

Sony is out to beat Apple in the A/V media market; I doubt they will ever work together - Sony is even more obsessed with proprietary tech than Apple ever was.

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Yeah, I did not get the impression that Apple will be a part of this... It actually sounds like Sony wants to develop the technology themselves so Apple *can't* start an iTunes for movies. Which I've been waiting for Apple to do since day 1... then with a color iPod but no video playback, I realized that it's not a sure thing...

7. cubist macrumors 68020