Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chasekrista

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2003
700 Mhz PowerPC G3 640 MB Bus speed 100Mhz L2 Cache size 512K Machine Model IBook(version +2.2) Airport ready. CD rom...12" LCD display 700 Mhz G3 iBook RAM maxed out at 640 MB Memory added by CDW. CDROM 20GB hard drive 2 USB ports 1 Firewire 400 port 56K Modem 10/100 Ethernet

This is what i am looking at getting for my first mac. Tis a G3 ibook. I can buy it for $950 CAD or $7something US.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
you must be nuts, a brand new emac is $794.00 and a emac will blow away a g3. dont do it. go get a nice new Emac and with the 100 bucks you save get some more memory

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
you must be nuts, a brand new emac is $794.00 and a emac will blow away a g3. dont do it. go get a nice new Emac and with the 100 bucks you save get some more memory

I disagree, just because you don't know if the OP needs a laptop. Sure, you'll always be able to get more power for less money in a desktop, but you can't just assume that a 50 lb emac will suit him as well as a 5 lb ibook.

Though I do think that $7xx for a 700 mhz ibook is too much. A new G4 ibook is $1000 edu price.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Actually, to answer your question, it is an ok price. If you are getting it new or refurb or slightly used, even better. Depends on your needs. But if you can afford better, buy new. There are some refurbs on sale at Apple USA right now. Don't know what the price is there (or if there are any available).

chasekrista

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2003
if i were to buy from the refurb at apple USA i would have to ship it to someone in the states who would then RESHIP it to canada. I dont think i know anyone in the states.

ethernet76

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2003
The g3 ibook is a great little laptop if you don't plan on using photoshop or something like that. It's perfect for on the go email, writing, music and dvds.

If this is what you want go for it.

As for the shipping. Good luck finding someone you can trust to send it to.

winwintoo

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2003
Re: is this worth it?

Originally posted by chasekrista

This is what i am looking at getting for my first mac. Tis a G3 ibook. I can buy it for $950 CAD or $7something US.

I have that same machine and I really like it. I wish I could get $950 CAD for it!!

I run Photoshop etc on it with no problems.

I would caution you though. I have purchased used machines in the past and they're fine for a while, but a few months down the road, I always start to think "If I hadn't spent that $$$ on this used machine, by now I could buy a new one"

m

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.